Shock Absorbers

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
CoffeeWolf
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai - J10 (2006–2013)

Post by CoffeeWolf »

Hello chaps!
I'm as new here as a Qashqai owner/driver. I just purchased a 2007 1.6 Acenta petrol model and I find it quite a thing.
I do enjoy the sturdy feel of the car, however, I reckon it needs some new shock absorbers and here's why I'm here, asking you folks.

I am no expert, but I'm looking for something which:

- will improve comfort (without making the car rolling excessively)
- might improve the driving
- goes for an accessible budget (I'v got no idea how much parts & work might cost me... 500 quid, maybe?)

I've got a second thing to ask, but that's pretty stupid. I've noticed the car is equipped with bluetooth, but there's no way playing music from spotify (no aux button), any way to 'cheat' the system and enjoying my playlists?

Cheers :D

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

Welcome to this forum.

I don't recall anyone talking about replacement dampers previously on here. What sort of mileage have you got on a 13 year old car?

I don't have a pre-2010 handbook - but the 2011 one has an AUX socket in the central armrest. It also suggests you can audio stream. Do you have a 2007 handbook?
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
CoffeeWolf

Post by CoffeeWolf »

Thanks, Gloucester.

I do, I just did not consider it XD. I'll have a check, but I think without an 'aux' button there's not much you can do.

The car's in pretty good condition, single previous owner, 68750 miles on the clock. Not much, still, new dampers will benefit it without a trace of doubt, making it softer and sharper - or at least that's my idea.

I am rider, I know a thing or two about motorcycles, but I'm not confident when talking cars :D, I couldn't name shock absorbers brands for cars...
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I suspect Nissan spent a few bob on working on the suspension of the QQ before launch.
Maybe replacing the original equipment with new units will provide the improvements you are looking for ?
Just a polite suggestion
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Other shocks could behave differently thus altering the dynamic performance of the car somewhat. You probably need to keep to stock to preserve design/current performance.

I have replaced rear shocks on other cars for caravan towing. That was Koni adjustable.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
CoffeeWolf

Post by CoffeeWolf »

MikeGC wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:16 am I suspect Nissan spent a few bob on working on the suspension of the QQ before launch.
Maybe replacing the original equipment with new units will provide the improvements you are looking for ?
Just a polite suggestion
Might well be, Mike. :)
I'm used to motorcycles and in that case original dampers are rarely as good as aftermarket - which, quite obviously, cost a lot more -, but the OEM shock absorbers might already be more than enough here. Honestly, I don't know, that's why I'm asking :).
Do you have any idea about how much going for the OEM dampers + installation might cost me?

I'm quite surprised nobody felt the need to replace them. I've seen many esthetically mods, but this is way more important in my book...
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

I couldn’t begin to guess at the cost of replacing your shock absorbers - sorry
Often the best option is a trusted local garage who use proven replacement parts but much better value labour costs - as I assume you'll know from biking experience.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
CoffeeWolf

Post by CoffeeWolf »

Yes, quite the same I think :)
Still, cars are not my thing, so before heading toward any direction, I'd rather be sure about what I'm doing. For instance, I now know I should better look for the OEM absorbers :)
Cheers guys!
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

CoffeeWolf, when you look in the web there are so many makes and suppliers for Shocks it gets confusing. If it helps try playing with these two websites or even give Halfords or the Like a call and ask - Dave 😊

Shock Absorber Repair & Replacement - Compare Prices | Who Can Fix My Car : https://www.whocanfixmycar.com/services ... ber-repair

Hassle-free Nissan Juke front shock absorber replacement | Fixter : https://www.fixter.co.uk/front-shock-ab ... issan/juke
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
CoffeeWolf

Post by CoffeeWolf »

DaveBerlin wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:07 am CoffeeWolf, when you look in the web there are so many makes and suppliers for Shocks it gets confusing. If it helps try playing with these two websites or even give Halfords or the Like a call and ask - Dave 😊

Shock Absorber Repair & Replacement - Compare Prices | Who Can Fix My Car : https://www.whocanfixmycar.com/services ... ber-repair

Hassle-free Nissan Juke front shock absorber replacement | Fixter : https://www.fixter.co.uk/front-shock-ab ... issan/juke

Thanks Dave! :D That would be a hit, but... I live in Italy and my plate is an Italian one, therefore I can't have a quote with those websites. :D