AlloyGators issues

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Toffeeggs

Post by Toffeeggs »

After getting my new car, I read on the forum about the great quality of the AlloyGator protectors for the 19 inch wheels I had. There were several quotes from forum members on this site and also other sites with regard to the AlloyGators.I had had a slight scrape on the wheel on a kerb so decided to invest in a set o AG's.Travelled to Spalding on 17th June to have them fitted by somebody who AlloyGator recommended. Result was this, looking good. I was well pleased and happy now that I could do less damage to the wheels.The fitting seemed to be nice and tight to the surface of the wheel looked great.After about a couple of weeks I noticed that there was a slight gap between AG and surface of wheel had appeared. about 2 to 3 mm. Did not think a lot about it at the time. Today I did a round trip of about 80 miles and I am 100% that I did not kerb the off side wheel at any time. When I parked in my drive I noticed something strange. I got in touch with the car dealer who fitted them and was told to drop in and they would sort it out. Well for me to visit them is a 20mile trip and I did not think that I could drive with the wheel like that as it might cause damage to the wing.Lucky for me there's a branch of Wilco one minute drive from my house. They let the air out, removed the AG and checked there was no problems. They could not see any damage to the AG and said the tyre was in A1 condition.They checked the near side AG and recommended that this is removed as there is a gap between wheel and AG, in places of around 2 to 4 mm and could result in the same problem as the off side wheel. I think that I will be having the remaining 3 AG's removed and I realise this has been £106.80 wasted. So be aware, be very aware. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

SplanK2014-07-23 08:20:24
XTrailQashqaiJuked& nowbacktoQashqaiwithGun Metal1.6Teknacvt

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Toffeeeggs, this type of information is valueable for Forum members and this has also been reported here by members on comments from websites (I believe it was under Alloygators - try searching it). But there are many Guys that have had them fitted and there seems to be not so many negatives. Because of where I live I looked at Rim Ringz and there are comments there that states that lubricating fluids, soaps, sprays, oils should be used minimally or not at all and should be thoroughly dried after fitting.
Could this be the reason for your problem are they dry or moist ? Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Toffeeggs

Post by Toffeeggs »

Hi Dave
To be honest l suppose that l'm letting off steam as not too happy with my outcome. Yes l know there are many members who have had these fitted and does not seem to many problems been reported. So l suppose l have to just accept it as a one off.
Just been out to the car and checked the three remaining wheels and have to say all three remaining AG's seem to be coming away from the surface of the wheel. This might be due to too much grease/lubricant applied at the time of fitting the AG's as you have stated. Don't forget that these were fitted on 17 th June so surely they would have dried by now. But its not worth the trouble of £106 to persevere with them if there is a chance of them coming off at speed and damaging the bodywork. My feeling is l cannot trust them now and so £106 has gone down the drain. Just a warning to others what could happen.
RegardsToffeeggs2014-07-09 20:07:16
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Ive always been negative regarding any of these things not just Alloygators but surely this has to be down to incorrect fitting?There are many people with all makes of cars and its rare to see them fly off like that, Im sure that would of been there primary concern when they designed themId give Alloygators a ring mate, I know your upset but first see what they suggestMy worry was the balancing issues with them fitted, them coming off was never a consideration for me and as I said theres a lot of cars out there with them fittedGive Alloygators a ring im sure they will have an answer, remember sh*t can happen with any product cheap or expensive its how they deal with it that seperatess a great company from a crap one
Toffeeggs

Post by Toffeeggs »

Cheers Donkey
Will do that tomorrow and see what happens. Will let all know result. Thanks
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Hey mate you every right to be angryIt wouldnt of taken much for that to fly off take your wing out its terrible and im sure Alloygators wont be pleased at there reccomended fitters not fitting to there instructionsyour right not to drive the car until its sorted id imagine a man with a van will come out remove and clean the wheels and refit at the very leastTo me the mark of a good company is how swiftly they react to a problem so give them a chance they seem a good company when you read up on them but keep us informed
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

MY rear O/S tyre pressure flagged recently as low via the TPMS; when I checked wheel, part of AG was further out from rim than it should have been, and was obviously the cause of lost pressure. To fix I didn't jack car up, just reduced tyre pressure, and then applied soapy water in area where AG had come out somewhat, and hammered back in, and gave the rest a clout too.Reinflated to 15psi, and checked were seated OK; then applied full pressure & has been OK. Will keep an eye out, and give thanks for the QQ's Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

At last - this is very useful, especially as one who has been considering having these fitted. Same problem the nearest guy is 20 odd miles away and I just haven't been able to spare the time. I agree with Donkey (not often) your first port of call has to be the manufacturer / supplier (not the fitter), he has proven himself to be useless. Be very interested to see what they have to say, if it's not to your satisfaction ask for your money back - simple as that.
PeterL2014-07-09 20:57:27
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
iMike

Post by iMike »

Thanks for the heads up, i fitted mine recently and they have been fine, but i will keep an eye on them now.
1.2DiGT Tekna Storm white, Premium chrome pack
Toffeeggs

Post by Toffeeggs »

Back to the recommended dealer on Monday 14th to get these AlloyGators looked at and refit the one that has come off. I'm hoping for them to sit on the rims without any further trouble after rework.This has been suggested by AllotGator themselves, to get it back.