electric handbrake ....

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

Same on the accenta when you switch off the handbrake appliesHandy that I miss that as it goes

Jhare

Post by Jhare »

I have a slight slope down my driveway. The auto release handbrake seems to struggle a bit in releasing in reverse. No problem found when pulling away forwards. Maybe something to do with how the system is designed. You don't want it rolling backwards I suppose. Not an engineer either. Anyway to the point. My wife who reads the manual, identified that if you press the footbrake, you can press the handbrake button down and it disengages. Great! The icon on the dash even tells you that too. Sorry to those who are already aware, but if you are like me it was a revelation.
2014 Tekna 1.2 DIG-T in Magnetic Red
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

[quote="Jhare"]I have a slight slope down my driveway. The auto release handbrake seems to struggle a bit in releasing in reverse. No problem found when pulling away forwards. Maybe something to do with how the system is designed. You don't want it rolling backwards I suppose. Not an engineer either. Anyway to the point. My wife who reads the manual, identified that if you press the footbrake, you can press the handbrake button down and it disengages. Great! The icon on the dash even tells you that too. Sorry to those who are already aware, but if you are like me it was a revelation.[/QUOTE]It doesBut if you press the footbrake to release the handbrake then you still have hill assist holding the car for a few seconds and on a slight incline when weathers bad its a painThe answer is to reverse in if you can but in my case i need to drive in to get out the car from drivers side as if I reverse then to park against the wall nicely i need to exit from passenger seatAnd you cant turn the hill assist off you just gotta hold the car on the clutch without stalling or rolling forward until the hill assist goes offAnnoyingly in my case I need to put a house brick under tyres to solve it, so much for modern technology improving, its not just Nissan all modern cars now seem to have this feature
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

[quote="Donkey"] [quote="Jhare"]I have a slight slope down my driveway. The auto release handbrake seems to struggle a bit in releasing in reverse. No problem found when pulling away forwards. Maybe something to do with how the system is designed. You don't want it rolling backwards I suppose. Not an engineer either. Anyway to the point. My wife who reads the manual, identified that if you press the footbrake, you can press the handbrake button down and it disengages. Great! The icon on the dash even tells you that too. Sorry to those who are already aware, but if you are like me it was a revelation.[/QUOTE]
It does
But if you press the footbrake to release the handbrake then you still have hill assist holding the car for a few seconds and on a slight incline when weathers bad its a pain
The answer is to reverse in if you can but in my case i need to drive in to get out the car from drivers side as if I reverse then to park against the wall nicely i need to exit from passenger seat
And you cant turn the hill assist off you just gotta hold the car on the clutch without stalling or rolling forward until the hill assist goes off
Annoyingly in my case I need to put a house brick under tyres to solve it, so much for modern technology improving, its not just Nissan all modern cars now seem to have this feature
[/QUOTE]
Just read in the owners manual, if you turn ESP off, then the hill assist is turned off with it. Ill try it later.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Annoyingly in my case I need to put a house brick under tyres to solve it, so much for modern technology improving, its not just Nissan all modern cars now seem to have this feature[/QUOTE]] But do all the other modern cars come with the house brick
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

[quote="gvmdaddy"]
Just read in the owners manual, if you turn ESP off, then the hill assist is turned off with it. Ill try it later. [/QUOTE]

Just tried this on the way home and it didn't work. Just read the manual and I think you read it wrong.

It says "when the esp warning light illuminates in the meter, the hill start assist system will not operate..." Which to me reads as of its activated or there is a fault, then it won't work, however turning off esp by the button will not disable the hill start function, which is confirmed with my test on the way home.
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

[quote="jonceebee"]Annoyingly in my case I need to put a house brick under tyres to solve it, so much for modern technology improving, its not just Nissan all modern cars now seem to have this feature[/QUOTE] But do all the other modern cars come with the house brick
[/QUOTE]Lol housebricks nowadays dont come cheap, long gone are the days every friday you would find them next to a bus stop shelter etcTalking of back to the past my current car has a great big arm in centre of car with a button on it to press makes a clicky noise (give me the eleccy handbrake anyday) and a key that flicks out like a switchblade you actualy have to insert into a slot to drive!Missing my QQ but have a cunning plan to sneak into the Xtrail As for the slippery freezing days the car is a pain to get off drive.... well we get at most a week in total when weathers that bad and when those days come its realy not worth going out simply as an hours journey soon goes into 4
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Tried it this afternoon and came to the same conclusion as Splank.
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

I thought the hill start feature was a valve inside the brake master cylinder not sure its electronicI do know as I looked into it at the time there was no way VW could disable the featureBut were back to same scenario where the cars are now intruding on us in the way we drive, they dab the brakes for us as we hit a bend to keep the car straight and balanced etc all good things and generaly make us drive a lot faster than we used toQQ is the similar shape to the old Morris 1000 who would want to go around a bend in the moggy at 30 mph after you could do it without thinking at 50mph in the QQ