electric handbrake ....

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
paulyoung666

Post by paulyoung666 »

..... confused , stop the car on the brakes , put into neutral , feet off the pedals , shouldn't the handbrake come on or what ? ....

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

No, you need to come to a complete stop then you can manually apply the 'handbrake' by pulling up the leaver.However, there is a feature called hill assist which, when the car detects its on a hill, in gear and you release the brake pedal, it momentarily keeps all 4 brakes applied for a set amount of time then releases. When activated, a little green light appears on the dash with the outline of a car on a gradient..
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

no mate that would impede drivingYou need to apply the handbrake or switch the engine offYou do have hill assist so a few seconds the brakes hold but a system to apply the handbrake could impede driving, after all what part of your driver training taught you to go into neutral and take feet off pedals lol
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

oh, it will auto release when you attempt to setoff, but you need to apply throttle when pulling up the clutch. If no throttle the brake stays applied.
MJCQQ

Post by MJCQQ »

[quote="paulyoung666"]..... confused , stop the car on the brakes , put into neutral , feet off the pedals , shouldn't the handbrake come on or what ? .... [/QUOTE]Hi. I am guessing you have come from a VAG vehicle (Volkswagen Audi Group)? I had a Tiguan that had a very handy feature called "Auto Hold". This would apply the brakes when you stopped the car and would release them only when the car was in gear, you put in the clutch and applied the throttle. It worked a treat and I do kind of miss it in the QQ. Though I find that it is mostly eliminated by the fact that on hills over 3 deg HSA kicks in.
MJCQQ2014-10-14 20:34:30
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

I had the Touran a couple of years ago with same feature and hated it for that reasonI have a slight downhill driveway and when it snowed reversing out was scary as the brakes would hold on rear and front wheels spun The QQ has an brake assist when on a hill if you stop release the brake pedal on an incline the car holds for a few secondsBut for the car to apply handbrake when it thinks its needed just seems like an intrusion, if you feel a handbrake is needed then you only gotta tap a button and it auto releases as you drive off
MJCQQ

Post by MJCQQ »

[quote="Donkey"]I had the Touran a couple of years ago with same feature and hated it for that reasonI have a slight downhill driveway and when it snowed reversing out was scary as the brakes would hold on rear and front wheels spun The QQ has an brake assist when on a hill if you stop release the brake pedal on an incline the car holds for a few secondsBut for the car to apply handbrake when it thinks its needed just seems like an intrusion, if you feel a handbrake is needed then you only gotta tap a button and it auto releases as you drive off[/QUOTE]The auto hold feature could be turned off and it behaved just like the one in the QQ. Well apart from HSA. I do miss it but not enough to want my old Tiguan back. Loving the QQ too much
MJCQQ2014-10-14 20:58:47
Jhare

Post by Jhare »

On my Tekna, the handbrake comes on automatically when you stop the engine with the Start/Stop button. Just wondering, does the same happen on those models with key operated ignitions. I like the feature. Just wondering though how long it is before I forget in the work Ford Focus and it goes careering down a hill with me watching on helplessly. Jhare2014-10-14 21:06:06
2014 Tekna 1.2 DIG-T in Magnetic Red
Donkey

Post by Donkey »

No comparison mate the QQ just wins on every levelthe spec the tech the comfort and finaly the massiving gaping price diffrence one you spec the VW up makes it a no brainerI myself am against too much brake assistance, when conering nowadays magic apears dabbing brakes on diffrent wheels to make the car corner like its on rails mean you can push and theres no feel until you over push thingsThe Tiguan however has a real towing potential though thats its strong point
Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

[quote="Jhare"]On my Tekna, the handbrake comes on automatically when you stop the engine with the Start/Stop button. [/QUOTE]I wasn't aware it did that until I read your post.