Tyre change made impossible

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

[quote="Dr_Niss"][quote="langy"]Something like this perhaps ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-pad-wi ... 3cea142cb9
[/QUOTE]Like it just bought one.[/QUOTE]One thing that I did do over the weekend was measure the seam weld which was about 15mm, so have ordered one of those pads with a 15mm deep slot, not the exact one I hyperlinked.

Deleted User 1450

Well I received my jack pad (or should I say machined ice hockey puck) yesterday, think it'll do the job nicely.
Squierrel

Post by Squierrel »

I have received instructions from Nissan customer service. The lifting point is, as suspected, the edge of the vertical bend.So if you guys are milling a slot to the jackpad, make sure it is not deeper than the height of the vertical bend.I am planning to use the jackpad flat as it is. And an important thing to remember with trolley jacks is that they must be on a smooth surface, so that they can move on their wheels while lifting. Asphalt is too coarse a surface.
1.6 dCi130 Xtronic Business 360
Moviestar

Post by Moviestar »

[quote="Squierrel"]I have received instructions from Nissan customer service. The lifting point is, as suspected, the edge of the vertical bend.So if you guys are milling a slot to the jackpad, make sure it is not deeper than the height of the vertical bend.I am planning to use the jackpad flat as it is. And an important thing to remember with trolley jacks is that they must be on a smooth surface, so that they can move on their wheels while lifting. Asphalt is too coarse a surface.[/QUOTE]OK thanks for your advice but just to clarify then what would be the optimum depth and width for the slot then.please
Squierrel

Post by Squierrel »

I actually ended up using a bottle jack without a jackpad. The lifting head is made of steel and has a flat surface with very shallow rounded grooves, which serve more as a visual guide for adjusting the jack location than a mechanical guide forcing the location. A better solution might be a hard rubber jackpad with a V-shaped slot center-aligning the jack with the vertical bend. I think I might make myself one before spring. The depth of the slot should be less than the height of the vertical bend to ensure that lifting pressure is only at the bottom of the slot. The width of the slot should be wide enough to ensure easy placement and to avoid peeling off whatever coating there is at the bottom of the car. This means that the sides of the slot are not supposed to transfer any horizontal forces while lifting. They are only there to enable center-alignment.
1.6 dCi130 Xtronic Business 360
Moviestar

Post by Moviestar »

Ok thanks for that Think I might go for one off these then:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-S3-8V ... 5be7deThat way it lifts on the slot but you can centre it
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

I've alerted JackPads to this thread, and they're looking at adapting one of their current pads for the QQ. I see they're in Cheshire (CH6 2SE), so any members local to that, may want to show him your underside when passing!!!
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Deleted User 1450

[quote="Moviestar"]Ok thanks for that Think I might go for one off these then:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-S3-8V ... 5be7deThat way it lifts on the slot but you can centre it[/QUOTE]Which is essentially what I bought a good few weeks ago. However, you need to be sure that the slot is deep enough. The one that I bought isn't quite right as the pad doesn't come into contact with the sill and the folded seam. Probably best to get a tape measure and spirit level out and measure it properly (unlike me).
Ozrockit

Post by Ozrockit »

Made my own was effective.Ozrockit2014-12-29 10:37:17
J11 2.0L Petrol
Moviestar

Post by Moviestar »

Looks good.Could you confirm what the width and depth of the pinch weld is at that point