e Handbrake failed - Nissan denys fault

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Businesscheck
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Businesscheck »

Before I collect my car couple weeks ago . The sales guy
Called to say Nissan had issued a warning regarding
The electric brake.

The dealers had to check to ensure it was working
Correctly before allowing me to take it home.
67 plate 1.2 tekna + . White

chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Glad I've seen this thread as my drive is quite an incline and I've often worried that the e-brake could fail and I'd wake up to find the car in the living room.

I'll start keeping it in reverse when the engine is off now I think. The good thing about the push to start engine is you have to press the clutch down to start so no risk of starting the engine in gear either.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Always on a manual, also keep in 1st gear or reverse as appropriate.

You'll see these signs in hilly San Francisco.

JtWNkV6.jpg

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
PPV

Post by PPV »

I have experienced the same problem car rolled off whilst unattended , diagnosis test showed no faults and now referred to Nissan Customer Care. I feel as though it will only be a matter of time and this fault could cause a fatality, please all QQ owners leave your car in gear and don’t rely on the automatic brake.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

You should be leaving your car in gear regardless of brake type unless there is exceptional circumstances!

Whatever the fault is, it does not sounds like it’s a common issue, and failures of things can and do happen, be it electronic or manually operated handbrake via a cable.

As it stands, I do not see the electronic handbrake being any worse in terms of safety compared to a non-electric version.
Tas57

Post by Tas57 »

Hi I have just joined the forum because the handbrake failed on my mk2 2015 qashqai, I just wonderedyour sercomstance and how you convinced Nissan to pay for this. Did you go through insurance and then they got the money back?
Many thanks
Tom
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

Old habits die hard I still leave my car in gear when parked however, I am having difficulty locating the starter handle though
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.
trout

Post by trout »

In over fifty years of driving I have never left a manual drive car parked without it being in first gear as well as the handbrake.
That goes for a perfectly flat surface as well, I’ve seen cables snap on some cars, it’s asking for trouble and is so easy to do.
This is my first electronic handbrake I find it much better than I imagined it to be but I wouldn’t trust it.
S.
adie9

Post by adie9 »

I have NEVER EVER left a manual car parked without leaving it in gear. Even before the advent of electronic handbrakes. And especially now that most cars have all round disc brakes.
And I really do not get the mass reluctance of just about every other driver to do this.
Squashy2

Post by Squashy2 »

adie9 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:01 pm I have NEVER EVER left a manual car parked without leaving it in gear. Even before the advent of electronic handbrakes. And especially now that most cars have all round disc brakes.
And I really do not get the mass reluctance of just about every other driver to do this.
I second this, for over thirty five years of driving I always put the car in first gear and apply the hand brake. Especially on an incline, I have two other cars, one for winter use only and one in the garage as my weekend toy, both these have sat for years with first gear only, no handbrake to stop the brake pads and discs binding through sitting with little to no daily use.
2018 Acenta 1.2 DIG-T in Gunmetal grey.
Uniroyal Rain expert 5
Bonnet lifting struts

Previous QQ 2007 1.6 petrol Acenta (102K miles)