e Handbrake failed - Nissan denys fault

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

Keep your eye on it and see if it ever does it again. If it does not and nobody else reports a problem, it would be fairly safe to assume operator error. If it does disengage after leaving it engaged, then there is a problem and where there is one problem there will be others with the same problem, of that you can be sure.In the meantime, make a habit of parking in gear at ALL times. This is not an ''extraordinary measure'', it is basic driving skill that should be one of the fundamental things taught when instructed to drive. It was certainly part of the driving test when I took it.
Quacker2015-01-15 23:15:45

simonp12

Post by simonp12 »

Hi guys, new member here. Just been reading through your posts. I have an earlier qashqai and have noted the rear braking system is different to my previous nissans. The rear brakes have two separate setups. It features normal brake discs with traditional brake calipers, but does not use the caliper and brake pads when you use the parking brake. Within the disc is also a separate hub with independent brake mechanism for the parking brake. This eliminates the problem of the discs and pads cooling down and caliper not holding thecar. In essence the caliper doesn't hold the car. So, it might be worth taking a rear wheel off to see what your car uses. Like I say though, my one is a 2013 previous shape, but would think the rear caliper, disc and hub arrangement is similar.
Many thanks good luck
duncho

Post by duncho »

2014 QQ use the disc and brake calipers also for parking brake. No more drum based break is present as it was on previous QQ generation.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

[quote="simonp12"]Hi guys, new member here. Just been reading through your posts. I have an earlier qashqai and have noted the rear braking system is different to my previous nissans. The rear brakes have two separate setups. It features normal brake discs with traditional brake calipers, but does not use the caliper and brake pads when you use the parking brake. Within the disc is also a separate hub with independent brake mechanism for the parking brake. This eliminates the problem of the discs and pads cooling down and caliper not holding thecar. In essence the caliper doesn't hold the car. So, it might be worth taking a rear wheel off to see what your car uses. Like I say though, my one is a 2013 previous shape, but would think the rear caliper, disc and hub arrangement is similar. Many thanks good luck[/QUOTE]
New Qashqai totally different setup to yours.
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Apologies for resurrecting this thread again, but did the original poster get a solution or was he another of the many earlier breed who came on the site, made complaints and never advised of a solution. Or perhaps he was just a troll after all
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
HerbieDoo

Post by HerbieDoo »

Hi, We have had exactly the same issue as yourself. The car was parked at the top of our drive (brand new car April 14, manual Nissan Qashqai Visia, 4000 miles). Parked up as normal on the 1st Dec, locked the car, went into the house with car keys after about 5 or 10 mins looked out the window and my car was parked across the road resting in between two bollards. £ 4000 worth of damage. we had the same responses from the dealership and nissan uk as yourself, that it was driver error. We have now taken this matter to the ombudsman who are currently processing it. Our car is on Hire purchase so we pursuing the finance company.Out of interest who is your case worker at Nissan Uk as our case worker Ross, claims that they have no previous knowledge of a Failed Handbrake. We have now changed dealership and they have discovered many faults, all connected to the overall braking system. As it says in all the manuals once the key is turned to the off position the auto handbrake will apply, so why hasn't it.We would appreciate your feedback and any further details and may be between us we can prove that it is a serious cause for concern. We would be happy to advise you of our dealings so far. And to add insult to injury, it took 4 months to the day, before we got the car back, because parts were on back orders. They had n't even given the parts serial numbers, we had to photograph them to get them a serial number.Nissan would n't even give us a courtesy car.Furthermore this brake issue was one of many that had been reported to Nissan previously by ourselves;The Auto Stop Start didn't work and continually showed fault warnings.The Foot brake was solid at times. This was reported numerously but Nissan found no fault, until last week and now they are dealing with it.Hill start assist refuses to release.Radio remained on, etc, etc.
omegadeep

Post by omegadeep »

I have an electric parking brake on my Renault Grand Scenic (They have been using the tech for a long time) and it has been giving me problems in the past few weeks. Nothing is physically wrong, because the entire assembly has been stripped down. However, they can't find a fault and so everything is pointing towards the ECU control module, which costs about £200 to replace and it really is impossible to prove intermittent faults in such modules. I assume the tech behind the Nissan break is the same as the Renault, due to the business relationship between the two. These brakes are great when they work, safer than a manual and they do for the most part work very well. But when they fail ooh boy, expect a bill of anything up to £700 for repairs. If you are on an incline my advice is to stick it in gear. In 2009/10 66,000 Renaults were recalled due to problems, and there are still problems out there, as I have found to my cost.

omegadeep2015-05-20 22:32:52
A car is just a set of four wheels and four seats to enable one to travel from a to b. all other perceptions are individual illusions of the thought process.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Sorry to hear about the problems, and it is a little concerning that somebody else has now reported an ebrake failure. I really hope for us all that this is just a 'one off' failure somewhere that can happen with anything that's mass produced, although still concerning none the less as you expect the brake to hold the car in its place. Yes brakes can fail from time to time hence leaving it in gear but you should expect it to engage. Although Nissan's refusal that there is not a problem is not surprising really given the potential impact of possible recalls. I wonder if its worth reporting this to somebody other than Nissan, such as VOSA and see what they have to say regarding the issue?
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

I always stick my car in gear what ever handbrake it has. Also turn the steering wheel into the curb so car does not roll far on a hill. Handbrakes can fail no matter what type they are also as the brakes cool the disc shrinks and brake can slip.
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
duncho

Post by duncho »

I use EPB manually, which in my opinion prolong its life as well as I can remember when I engaged it as it is not so often. Otherwise I just secure the car by shifting it to "P" parking mode (CVT model).
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!