e Handbrake failed - Nissan denys fault

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Just to share what I found on EPB's which might be of interest might not ! But it will not solve your Problems - Dave :(
Take a a look at the comments from Nissan Data in Red ! :

What is it? Manufacturers constantly strive to make everyday driving that little bit easier for their customers, and one example of this is an update to the mechanical handbrake. Many manufacturers are replacing the usual lever-operated system with a more modern and less labour-intensive equivalent.

How does electronic parking brake work? A traditional handbrake is very simple: by pulling the lever up, you are pulling two cables which run to each of the rear brakes. By adding tension to these cables, this in turn causes the pads (or ‘shoes’ for cars with drum brakes) to squeeze against the discs (or drums) to hold the rear wheels firmly in place. Some cars with disc brakes have separate handbrake drum-brake shoes or even a separate disc-brake caliper for the handbrake. Put simply, an electronic parking brake replaces this mechanical system with an electrical one. By pressing the switch, motors on each brake caliper squeeze the pads into the disc. You’ll hear a reassuring whirring of the motors as the button is pressed (or pulled), meaning that you know that the car is held safely, which isn’t always a guarantee with a regular handbrake. To release the electronic parking brake, simply attempt to drive off and it will automatically disengage – usually! Sometimes when you first start the car you’ll have to put your foot on the brake and push (or pull) the electronic handbrake switch to take it off – this can also happen when you try to reverse. After that you’ll normally just be able to drive away to deactivate it.

Any drawbacks? If you’re a keen home mechanic you may be disappointed – because the handbrake operates electrically you’ll need to visit a professional to have your brake pads changed. Usually, you’ll need a (rather expensive) diagnostic laptop to open up the brake calipers so you can remove the brake pads. From a slightly juvenile point of view, electronic handbrakes make handbrake turns nigh-on impossible so late night fun in snow-bound car parks will be a thing of the past.

Anything else I need to consider? Many cars with electronic handbrakes include a hill-hold function, which stops the car from rolling back on steep gradients. This means you’ll be able to pull away smoothly every time.

Are they worth it? They certainly have their benefits. Electronic handbrakes hold more firmly than regular cable-operated brakes, and because there is (usually) no physical cable which can stretch over time, there’s less adjustment needed – and you are less likely to find your car scooting backwards off your sloped driveway in the night.

They simplify the interior of cars too. By removing a large lever from the centre console, more room is freed up for other things, such as extra storage space, cup holders, or even more buttons!. The handbrake is a hugely important system, so it’s only natural that newfangled electrical versions are treated with suspicion. However, the electronic parking brake really is one of those things that quickly becomes second nature – just like all the best gadgets.

Note this Comment from thecarconnection :
Another safety feature that's built into most EPB systems but isn't often touted is that they include an auto-apply feature: Say the driver steps out of the vehicle, thinking that the brake has already been applied, and the vehicle starts rolling. In that case, the parking brake automatically cinches up—and knows to because it's tied in with the door switch and seatbelt switches.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/10 ... -the-point
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

QQ1234

Post by QQ1234 »

I have quite a steep driveway. I pull in nose upwards. More than a couple of times I have been confused as the start/stop has turned off the engine and I have to actually start the car again to turn it off....if you see what I mean. Coupled with hill assist its a confusion as the weather the parking brake would engage or not. So to play it safe I always put it in second gear as well. Is that the best gear to put it in facing uphill parking? Maybe I should engage 1st gear?

I hate the start/stop on this car and I would turn it off apart from the fact it operates soo rarely its like its turned off anyway.!
QQ 2015 1.6 Dig-T Gun Metal
Mods so far: LED interior lights, Side steps, Spare wheel, PIAA twin horns, Boot entry protector, Vinyl sill protection.
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

I noted in one of the other comments on this Nissan insist the car must also be kept in gear.
Having read something recently that suggests if you leave the car in gear it can put additional strain / loading on the DMF it would seem you are damned if you do and damned if you don't...
Nissan no more...
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

AlleyCat wrote:I noted in one of the other comments on this Nissan insist the car must also be kept in gear.
Having read something recently that suggests if you leave the car in gear it can put additional strain / loading on the DMF it would seem you are damned if you do and damned if you don't…
It is essential. or at least good practice to leave a car in gear with the handbrake on, or in Park if an automatic. Always has been and always will be important. Ignore this at your peril.

Engage the lowest gear because this gives the greatest compression braking.

Forget the nonsense you have heard about the dual mass flywheel. It is pure bull excrement.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Was just looking at some Laws on Parking Lights for another Post and this Comment Popped Up. Just a few comments with regard to Parking and Sticking the Car in Gear - Dave ;)

Parking on hills. If you park on a hill you should:

• park close to the kerb and apply the handbrake firmly (OK when it Works ! :) )
• select a forward gear and turn your steering wheel away from the kerb when facing uphill
• select reverse gear and turn your steering wheel towards the kerb when facing downhill
• use ‘park’ if your car has an automatic gearbox.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Quacker wrote:
AlleyCat wrote:I noted in one of the other comments on this Nissan insist the car must also be kept in gear.
Having read something recently that suggests if you leave the car in gear it can put additional strain / loading on the DMF it would seem you are damned if you do and damned if you don't…
It is essential. or at least good practice to leave a car in gear with the handbrake on, or in Park if an automatic. Always has been and always will be important. Ignore this at your peril.

Engage the lowest gear because this gives the greatest compression braking.

Forget the nonsense you have heard about the dual mass flywheel. It is pure bull excrement.
Not disputing what you say as i don't know any better.

I was told it wasn't a great idea by a mechanical engineer (not a garage mechanic).
I won't pretend i fully understood what he was talking about but it was to do with torque / tension left on the DMF and some sort of deformation over time.
Not a problem as a one off but left parked on a slope repeatedly causing premature wear.

As i said i'm not saying it's right and i've always parked with my car in gear and wheels slightly turned into the kerb (which probably just says i'm old).

Since i no longer have a manual car it's neither here nor there to me.

I was merely "throwing out" a point that Nissan suggest leaving a car in gear with this style of handbrake and if the "DMF" part was true it's a bit of a damned if you do scenario.

Nothing more or less :-)
Nissan no more...
Perfectplex

Post by Perfectplex »

Warning!!!!!!!!! This same issue has just occured with my wife's 2016 1.5 Nissan Qashqai (Diesel/Manual) We have only had the vehicle for one week. My wife returned from work and parked car in our driveway. Engine was off and car was locked. Fifteen minutes later our neighbour frantically knocked on our door to advise that our car had rolled out of our drive, across a main road and crashed into a fence on the other side! Substantial damage to the vehicle included smashed left rear tail-light, cracked bumper and damage to bodywork around and above the rear left wheel arch.

Quite frankly I feel that this is an absolute disgrace and I am even more concerned that there are at least another three users on this forum that this has happened to. I called Nissan customer service and they almost immediately denied any responsibility. Car was taken to the dealer who we have leased the car from and they checked brakes and advised their was no fault indicated so they will not pay for repair. Nissan provided me with absolute waffle around how this can happen if the car is not stationary before you turn the engine off??? Response from Nissan copied and pasted below. I am considering taking this to a lawyer, Ombudsman and Vehicle Standards. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would also urge anyone who has experienced such an issue with there automatic handbrake to report it as it is my opinion that it is only a matter of time before someone is killed or seriously injured by one of these vehicles. I dread to think what would have happened had the incident occured at lunchtime when children from the local school walk by our drive!!!

From Nissan below. Incidentally they did not attach the relevant handbook pages that they are referring to!

'Thank you for bringing to our attention the recent incident which arose, concerning your wife’s Nissan Qashqai

I understand that you had concerns regarding the performance of the vehicle’s handbrake and suspected that the cause of it rolling, unattended, into a neighbour’s fence, was potentially due to a failure within its operation.

Having taken the vehicle to your dealer, extensive testing and examination of the handbrake functionality has proven that there is nothing amiss with the vehicle handbrake operation and performance.

For this reason, the causal issue is beyond the realms of manufacturer liability.

There are many aspects which can cause a vehicle to roll. As a defect within the vehicle has been ruled out, the only other possibilities are external influence beyond the manufacturer’s control. I cannot possibly provide you with a definitive reason as to what exactly happened with your wife’s vehicle, as I can only comment on whether there is a defect with the car, or not.

However unintentional mis-use of the handbrake or accidental mis-use can be considerations; such as the vehicle not being completely stationary when the ignition was switched off or the handbrake may have been depressed before leaving the vehicle and therefore the vehicle could not hold.
Nissan recommend that vehicles when parked should have their wheels turned inwards towards the curb, and, the vehicle is placed in the appropriate gear.

I have attached pages from the handbook as you requested that highlight our position on parking your vehicle in gear.
RVW

Post by RVW »

Not got mine yet. Hopefully first week in June. But read this with some interest and intrepidation. I have ALWAYS parked my cars with no handbrake on( unless on a very steep hill) . I always leave it in gear. Reason for this is three fold ,
After long journeys or constant use of the brakes, the discs and pad are usually quite hot, subsequenially if you apply the handbrake two things can happen, a) everything cools down and the effectiveness of the handbrake is reduced.
b) if you apply the handbrake onto HOT discs and pads you can cause warping and even spots on your docs ( waits for shooting down in flames )
c). If you leave your handbrake on for a considerable time (I.e. A week or more it can sieze on. Had this happen to me)

However this is a personal preference. It seems that the issue of rolling away and denial bu Nissan could be a good case for WATCHDOG,
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
alans220

Post by alans220 »

Handbrake on. In gear. Sorted.
Qashqai 1.5dci 115 J11B Vivid Blue
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Absolutely, and just check the red park brake LED illuminated as you exit the car. ;)
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D