Continental Tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Nice 1, thanks Daddy. So it appears to me, that the only thing that could be is affecting the computer reported mpg is the fact i have larger circumference wheels. If this is the case, it just shows how inacurate cars report the mpg compared to the true mpg.
daddydoug wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:12 am Daewar, further to your post on here about MPG. I have now done some long journey's, and must say that my MPG has improved since replacing my worn out Conti's with Michelin's. Not a lot in it mind you, but it has improved.

grahammichael
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by grahammichael »

Just had to replace one of my nearly new Conti tyres after suffering a slow puncture130 miles from home. Got a warning on the car computer to say i had a pressure loss so took it straight to a tyre dealer.He checked it and found a single wire sticking out of the shoulder of the tyre from inside and this was the source of the leak. I got asked the usual questions, have you kerbed it etc.,?the answer being ,no. It appeared the the wire was from the steel bracing inside the tyre and as such was not repairable. The repair man said that it was the first time he had seen such a strange failure in that position.The tyre was just 12 months old and done 3500 miles. I asked whether i had grounds for complaint from Continental and he thought i had,but from previous dealings with tyre manufactures he said it could be a drawn out procedure.As i was a long way from home he suggested that i took the damaged tyre home with me in case i wanted to pursue the matter but at this stage i was so fed up with the whole episode i decided i couldn't be bothered and told him to dispose of it. What was a journey to a family wedding, turned out to a lot more expensive event.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Just looking at kwik fit as my front tyres are approaching legal limit and slipping a bit.

Conti Premium Contact 2 - Fuel Efficiency C Wet grip rating C Exterior noise - 72db - £140.50
Michelin Primacy 3 - Fuel Efficiciency B Wet grip rating A Exterior noise - 69db - £141.00

When comparing direct, it's a no-brainer for the Michelin's surely? 50p more to go from wet grip rating C to A.
Assuming those stats are true?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Might be worth checking out Blackcircles to see if you can get a better deal. Admittedly I replaced all four Conti's with Michelin's and got a good deal through Blackcircles. They were sent to Autowise, my nearest tyre fitter, who said they were a good deal which he could not have matched. Personally I would not touch Kwikfit with a barge pole after a bad experience with them some years back, but that's just me!

Good luck
Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

daddydoug wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:06 am Might be worth checking out Blackcircles to see if you can get a better deal. Admittedly I replaced all four Conti's with Michelin's and got a good deal through Blackcircles. They were sent to Autowise, my nearest tyre fitter, who said they were a good deal which he could not have matched. Personally I would not touch Kwikfit with a barge pole after a bad experience with them some years back, but that's just me!

Good luck
Doug
I won't use kwik fit (similarly bad experiences), just a quick check online to see what's actually available. Previous QQ I had for 18 months and didn't need tyres. Had this one 18 months, and I think I replaced the tyres on my previous-previous one about a year before I sold it, so not had to get a tyre fitted for nearly 4 years now, I'm a bit stale!

Nissan main dealer had to put new tyres on my current one when I bought it from them as they were nearly dead, and they used some dirt-cheap budget tyre which has only lasted 18 months..
trout
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by trout »

A friend took his Yeti for an MOT last week, they rang him to say his back tyres needed replacing.
He was surprised as they had loads of tread left (Michelin’s) 18 months old. They said that the inner walls were collapsing and the mechanic could see this from the outside, when he removed one this was confirmed, it’s a local independent garage with a good reputation.
They fitted Two replacements called Jinyu, £55 each for 17”, they look the business I must admit and a quick google seemed to rate them highly, only time will tell of course, but at a quarter of the price of his Michelin’s it does make you think.
S.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Just been out to the car to remind me of the brand, it was Riken Maystorm 2 that the Nissan dealer fitted onto mine when they sold it to me.
Haven't really had a problem with them, other than they've worn out completely in 18 months/15000 miles.
Walt_Kowalski

Post by Walt_Kowalski »

I have just replaced my Qashqai front 215/55 R18 OEM Continental tires with Michelin Primacy 3 after 38,000 kms (could have last another thousand kms, I think) and am very pleased, very silent and conformable tires. Car feels like new :D
Btw, I have noticed that they are now OEM for the Peugeot 3008.
https://www.michelin.ie/tyres/michelin-primacy-3
Qashqai SV Premium, Solid Red, 1.5 D
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I'm ordering my front 2 next week and I'm tempted by the Bridgestone Turanza T005 as they now do that in QQ size. Better ratings than all the others, and they came 2nd in this years AutoBild tyre overview...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... erview.htm

And they're £30 cheaper than the Contis or Michelins on blackcircles..

https://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyre ... =55&rim=18

In fact I'm staggered by the choice that comes up with that above. Not that long ago you could only get the Contis and 1 cheap budget.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Worth remembering that it is now standard practice for high street tyre stores to only put new tyres on the rear of a vehicle and move the original rears to the fronts they are replacing, unless of course you’re changing all four corners.