Continental Tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Our QQ appears to be an "Odd Ball" when we ordered it the QQ's were being delivered with Conti's but when ours appeared it had Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 225/45/R19 92W fitted, no reason given. But I think I can remember there was an initial problem with the supply of Tekna Alloys & Tyres for the new QQ's, hence this change - you got whatever was around fit !

Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 225/45 R19 92W
Advantages: Excellent wet grip / Shorter braking distances / Ideal for sporty driving.Tyre description: Motorsports grip and braking for a dynamic driving experience: Exceptional grip on wet and dry, enhanced cornering control, shorter braking at motorway speeds and fuel-efficient design. The SportMaxx RT introduces new technologies derived from motorsport like the adaptive compound to provide a tyre that is a champion in grip and braking. Its grip on dry roads will outclass any rival. Technology (Features): Adaptive compound for a "racing' grip and improved braking performances / Massive outer shoulder block for increased stability and better handling when cornering / New "power braking' blocks for a shorter braking distance especially at high speed / Low Weight Construction, for improved Rolling Resistance performances.

Consumer benefits: Great steering response at high speeds / Ultimate grip in wet conditions / Excellent acceleration and braking performance / Very good control on dry and wet surfaces.

I have checked the prices in the UK and they range from around UK Pounds 136 - 156 / Tyre.
Now I cannot really make any comments on them as I do not have that many Kms under my belt yet - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

What are your Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 225/45 R19 92W like for road noise and ride Dave ?
The Conti;s seem to offer a good soft ride and are pretty quiet for a 19 inch wheel, I think we should put comments about performances of different tyres as they are fitted as you can get some real "dogs" on large rims which at the expense of a new tyre could prove to be a nightmare for some months after fitting.
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
mrlazy

Post by mrlazy »

It's all well and good saying complain to Nissan but, has anyone actually contacted continental themselves to complain ?
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Jon, I must say that I have not really noticed any problems with Tyre Noise to me they are very quite. OK over here money is not being spent on roads and a lot of the local roads are pot holed and this naturally can give you a shaking. The Suspension also seems to smooth out these movements. My "Boy Racer" days have gone, but on going through some "S" Bends and driving through with the Peep Peep the tyres hold the road well. Here driving is like being in a F1 Race on a Daily Basis and I have had a couple of pretty Heavy braking incidents recently and the nose dipped a lot but the QQ held it's line. I suppose to sum up I am pretty happy at present for how long for I cannot say - Dave
mrlazy, I had a problem when we bought a new Nissan Note in 2008 with Brock Alloys and Italian Tyres. These were installed as part of a Sport Kit by a Nissan Dealer but obviously not OEM parts. Then after 3 years (18 months on the car) with 8000kms at our T£V (MOT) hair line cracks were found and rejected. Result was New tyres I tried approaching the manufacturer which was a dead loss, no contact, no responsibility - Dave
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
johnboy50

Post by johnboy50 »

Glad to say I have the 16 inch steel wheels and relatively high profile tyres on my car, so replacements should be cheaper than most. The other bonus is immunity to kerbing alloys, which my wife is very prone to do. I'm surprised to see so few Visia models about, since, with the factory fitted Smart Vision option, has all the spec. I need. Probably Nissan keep the numbers low deliberately.
Levans1105

Post by Levans1105 »

Yes I have been in contact with Continental,and although they said tyre life can vary on soo many different outside factors they advised me to go back to the dealer to have them checked along with the alignment of the car. They also made me aware that in the event of having to have the tyres replaced that you can have them returned to Continental for further investigation,they will them check the compound,make up etc of tyre and should they find fault they will either send a refund or partial refund. He said its a free service to the owner and dealership and all dealership has to do is complete a returns label,he said it was a very simple process and they try to turn it around within 4 days of receiving tyres.
Kashkai

Post by Kashkai »

Reminds me of when I used to run Yokohama's on a hot hatch in the 90's and they used to last about 5k if I was lucky. Some of you guys are getting some pretty poor miles on your tyres, my current car Audi A4 1.8T Quattro (225bhp) normally does around 18k before needing to change the 4, I was using Pirelli P zero's but they were over £250 per corner, the last lot I had were Barum Bravius (never heard of them before but made in same factory as the Continentals and had very good reviews) and were less than a £100 per corner (after AA discounts), they were recommended to me by National Tyres and to be honest have been really good, they are not as stiff as the Pirellis but only really noticed on hard cornering on fast roundabouts, been good in all weathers and lasting well and have been well worth the money. Are any of you AA members as you can get really good discounts via AA tyres who use National Tyres, they do offer AA discount in the tyre depots but you get a lot more going via the AA Tyres website, might be worth a look for some of you. I also have a set of Continental winter tyres for the Audi and these have done a couple of winters, so probably circa 8k miles and they still have 6mm tread left, I've not bothered fitting them the last couple of winters as its been so mild and the warm weather just wears them down too quick.
1.5DCi N Tec+ Metallic Bronze delivered 23/04/15 as expected
F1 Bob

Post by F1 Bob »

I have just checked my Conti's and 6 mm all round. Car has done 10700 miles but winter tyres were on from end October to end March so I estimate actual mileage on the Conti's is around 7-8000 miles.
Pulsar 1.5 dCi Tekna in Bronze
Grocer Jack

Post by Grocer Jack »

Igot the garage to swap my 17 inch contis round at first service car as now done 15k miles and there still seems to be plenty in them, I would hope to get 20k out of the set (I was getting 30k on my previous QQ but can't remember what the brand was).
Quashqai 1.6dci Acenta vis tronic pearl black - DOB March 2014 -- Previous Quashqai 1.5dci Acenta (2010)
Levans1105

Post by Levans1105 »

Good to hear that others are getting the same amount of wear from tyres as me.
When you look at the profile of the tyres these are lower than the previous tyres used on the old model QQ.
I am having mine looked at again next week by the dealer and will suggest that they are swapped front to back.
I personally feel that although the continentals are a good brand of tyre, for this car they may wear a bit quicker than the outgoing model due to their profile.
Of course I would like better tyres that wear quicker than a lesser quality brand which last longer.