2014 Qashqai - Winter Tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="Acenta"]
I have carried out quite a bit of research into this and the weasely words in the regs "Vehicles, which are subject to the TPMS obligations, must fit all the tyres with sensors" appear to say that if a vehicle is purchased with a working TPMS system it must be maintained in that condition. That almost certainly means it will fail the MOT if the dash light is on and it would possibly affect your insurance if you were discovered to be driving a car that did not have a working TPMS at the time of an accident (even if the accident was nothing to do with tyres). Insurance companies will try to avoid paying in all claims and giving them a potential get out of jail free card on an new and expensive car is surely not sensible.[/QUOTE]Hard not to agree with this - TPMS are 100% a safety feature fitted to warn the driver about a deflating tyre (slow puncture). To remove such a feature opens up a total can of worms with regard to insurance and even the law I suspect. That's without even mentioning the grandkids or the mother-in law being in the car whenever something goes wrong.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.

Dieselwheasel

Post by Dieselwheasel »

I feel like a law breaker now and I definitely feel compelled to order the valves and get them fitted and this is going to cost. I guess a phone call to the local Nissan dealer is required ands I better be sitting down.
Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci Tekna Ink Blue, Born 31/1/15 Bonnet hood, sill guards but I want more
Dieselwheasel

Post by Dieselwheasel »

What happens when you have a space saver wheel on, would the insurance accept this as it doesn't have a sensor?
Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci Tekna Ink Blue, Born 31/1/15 Bonnet hood, sill guards but I want more
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

[quote="Dieselwheasel"]
What happens when you have a space saver wheel on, would the insurance accept this as it doesn't have a sensor?[/QUOTE]
If its OEM from the factory without a sensor its perfectly OK.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

We have the OEM Nissan Space Saver Wheel without the TPMS Valve and I think you will find it is classed as an Emergency Wheel and thus should only be used to get you Home / Dealer for Repair. It should not be used continually just as a Spare Wheel as it has a smaller diameter, tyre section, Speed Limit etc... - Dave ?Y??
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

I'd give the local Nissan dealer a wide bearth - make friends with a local tyre fitter. Mine actually stores the unused set for me FOC.
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

As I understand it you need to ensure that you get sensors that are compatible with the OEM system on the car. Have done quite a bit of research on the subject, after 10 years of cars with TPMS, all with the ABS based system I am a little unsure about buying a car with the valve based system but all the cars I like have valve based systems. Also looking at Volvo, Kia and Ford and on the Volvo and Kia I have found that the systems calibrate themselves after wheel changes with no outside interference. If Nissan work like that any competent tyre fitter should be able to obtain and fit the TPMS valves but if they need calibrating you could well need the input of a Nissan dealer with the usual £££'s involved.
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="Acenta"]
As I understand it you need to ensure that you get sensors that are compatible with the OEM system on the car. Have done quite a bit of research on the subject, after 10 years of cars with TPMS, all with the ABS based system I am a little unsure about buying a car with the valve based system but all the cars I like have valve based systems. Also looking at Volvo, Kia and Ford and on the Volvo and Kia I have found that the systems calibrate themselves after wheel changes with no outside interference. If Nissan work like that any competent tyre fitter should be able to obtain and fit the TPMS valves but if they need calibrating you could well need the input of a Nissan dealer with the usual £££'s involved.[/QUOTE]They do indeed self-calibrate.
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

[quote="PeterL"]They do indeed self-calibrate.[/QUOTE]
Good news
Dieselwheasel

Post by Dieselwheasel »

Well that was my next question, I have been quoted £292 including vat for fitting the valves and calibrating. I asked them if when I refit my summer wheels and tyres which is the original wheels and tyres would I need to calibrate my valves again and they said yes but I can't believe that.