2014 Qashqai - Winter Tyres

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

[quote="Dieselwheasel"] Well that was my next question, I have been quoted £292 including vat for fitting the valves and calibrating. I asked them if when I refit my summer wheels and tyres which is the original wheels and tyres would I need to calibrate my valves again and they said yes but I can't believe that.[/QUOTE]

That really is an amazing price and a total rip-off, not to mention an out and out lie. I would be tempted to challenge the owner / MD.

See 5.7 in the user Manual for more info, also, perhaps others should note that the Nissan Tyre Repair Sealant has been specially formulated NOT to spoil the TPMS valves (p5.5) PeterL2015-02-03 21:32:01
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.

Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

[quote="PeterL"] [quote="Dieselwheasel"] Well that was my next question, I have been quoted £292 including vat for fitting the valves and calibrating. I asked them if when I refit my summer wheels and tyres which is the original wheels and tyres would I need to calibrate my valves again and they said yes but I can't believe that.[/QUOTE] That really is an amazing price and a total rip-off, not to mention an out and out lie. I would be tempted to challenge the owner / MD.[/QUOTE]I agree this is not true. I had my winter wheels fitted by a local independent garage. When he held the calibration machine up to the valves it said they were self calibrating and they were working within minutes of him starting a test drive. Mind you he had to source Nissan valves and they were nearly £50 each. As I bought the tyres from him, he doesn't charge for swapping the wheels.
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Dieselwheasel

Post by Dieselwheasel »

I think the price for the valves is about £60 and I guess the rest would be fitting them and the so called calibration??
Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci Tekna Ink Blue, Born 31/1/15 Bonnet hood, sill guards but I want more
PeterL

Post by PeterL »

I guess that I was a bit harsh on the guy, no doubt down to the recalibrating bit of flannel. £50ish for the TPMS assuming it to include the Vat is not so bad.
PeterL2015-02-04 08:35:18
Tekna CVT 1.6 Magnetic Red - born 4/4/14 P/X 25/10/2015 for £19k with 12,000 on the clock - great car but time to change. No problems whatsoever in those 18 month's.
Dieselwheasel

Post by Dieselwheasel »

Just for additional information, I have just contacted our insurance which is direct line to ask about the fitting of tyre sensors to my spare winter tyres and wheels. According to them and I have a copy of the transcript, as long as you inform them that you have changed over your wheels they will amend it in the policy and there would be no need to fit the sensors.
Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci Tekna Ink Blue, Born 31/1/15 Bonnet hood, sill guards but I want more
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

[quote="Dieselwheasel"]
Just for additional information, I have just contacted our insurance which is direct line to ask about the fitting of tyre sensors to my spare winter tyres and wheels. According to them and I have a copy of the transcript, as long as you inform them that you have changed over your wheels they will amend it in the policy and there would be no need to fit the sensors.[/QUOTE]
That may appear fine but was the insurance company person you spoke to actually aware that it is a legal requirement for vehicles registered after 01 November 2014 to be fitted with TPMS and for any vehicle fitted with TPMS at the time of manufacture for it to be working at MOT time. If they weren't aware you can bet an assessor or vehicle examiner would be should you be involved in an accident.
Dieselwheasel

Post by Dieselwheasel »

Acenta, You are right as far as the law goes I have asked my lawyer friend to comment on my question and below was his answer.You are getting into a potentially very complex area of law.When the car comes from MOT (in another 3 years), it must have these fitted and they must be working and the tyres must be inflated to the correct pressure.It is only a requirement they are fitted on a new vehicle and it's not a requirement that the vehicle has them with regard to Constructions and Use. It doesn't make it dangerous to remove them.If you have an accident and it can be proved that the accident was caused because the tyres were incorrectly inflated, then the insurance could refuse to pay out. That would happen even if they had agreed that it would not affect your insurance if you had an effect had them removed or had new wheels put on.Provided the insurance company are happy that you have done this and agreed to insure you, then all well and good you have no problem, subject to what I said earlier BUT get it in writing. I would not even accept the name and position of the person that you spoke to because he may have it wrong. You need it in writing. If they are unwilling to give it in writing, then you need to be suspicious of anything they've said and I wouldn't change the wheels unless you are going to change the wheels for others with the same sensors in.There is obviously going to be a whole new market here for replacement wheels with pressure sensors but as this is new market and legislation, it could be some wait.
Acenta

Post by Acenta »

Whilst I have been looking for a new motor I have looked on the Mytyres (and other sites) site for winter wheels and tyres. Its nice to know what's available and at what price.On the Mytyres site there is the option for some brands to have the wheels fitted with TPMS at about £30 a wheel extra. There is also info regarding are they self programming. Unfortunately at this time there is no option for TPMS on the Qashqai. Whatever I buy it will have sensors fitted if the OEM wheels have them. I have had TPMS now for almost 10 years on 3 cars. All these have been the ABS system thus easy to fit winter tyres. In that time I have only had one puncture, got a warning and when I checked the tyre had a nail and had lost about 10psi. Repaired for about £5. Without TPMS it may have been a new tyre needed or worse.
Dieselwheasel

Post by Dieselwheasel »

To be on the safe side I will get the sensors fitted and I guess its all about peace of mind and I would feel happier if I had them on. After all said and done it is only £300 versus a hefty bill at the bodyshop or worse.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

[quote="PeterL"] [quote="Dieselwheasel"] Well that was my next question, I have been quoted £292 including vat for fitting the valves and calibrating. I asked them if when I refit my summer wheels and tyres which is the original wheels and tyres would I need to calibrate my valves again and they said yes but I can't believe that.[/QUOTE] That really is an amazing price and a total rip-off, not to mention an out and out lie. I would be tempted to challenge the owner / MD.See 5.7 in the user Manual for more info, also, perhaps others should note that the Nissan Tyre Repair Sealant has been specially formulated NOT to spoil the TPMS valves (p5.5) [/QUOTE]
But do they guarantee using it will not make puncture unrepairable
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D