steering sounds

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
sw1977

Post by sw1977 »

I have a 2014 1.5Dci and was wondering if anyone has experienced steering trouble? Only started today, and basically when I turn the steering wheel, it makes a funny light grinding sound. As it is electronic I didn't think that would be the case. Any thoughts?

AlleyCat

Post by AlleyCat »

Similar to this?http://www.qashqaiownersclub.co.uk/foru ... 2.htmlMine has a habit of "complaining" when it's cold (below 2c) and on first start up.Goes away once the car has warmed up.
Nissan no more...
sw1977

Post by sw1977 »

Might be, will take a look.Cheers
duncho

Post by duncho »

There are 3 types of steering noises already:dry rubber cuff at floor where steering column passes the floor (lubricate with Teflon base grease only)noise caused by dry rubber mounting of the front shock absorbers (tighten the screw and lubricate)scratching noise inside the steering wheel - sounds changes on turns, usually not audible near steering end position (coil spring issue, need to be replaced by a dealer)
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
applegarth

Post by applegarth »

Has it been in the garage recently, mine spent a few days on a lift and after i got it back i got a creaking groaning sound when turning the wheel. Importantly i still got it when the car was stationary and i turn the wheel.The garage replaced the strut top bearings that apparently might have been under some strain when it was up on the lift.Not sure I am convinced but it fixed the noise. If its very repeatable get someone to turn the steering wheel when you have the bonnet up and listen / feel for vibration on the strut tops
QQ 1.5 dci in Ink Blue
rongil

Post by rongil »

Have same problem. Temp solution was lubrication but now back again soon after 2 treatments. Engineer told me he had no fix but that Nissan were aware of problem and we're working on it.
Deleted User 1450

Post by Deleted User 1450 »

Mine does the same, but after a mile or so, it sorts itself out.
rolledstone

Post by rolledstone »

I've got a noise on my steering which only happens when it's damp and cold. See video. http://youtu.be/9Th5oEQCnpg
I took it to the dealer but they did nothing because it was not making the noise when they had it. Is the sound on your car the same? I have a 1.5dci Tekna on 14 plate.
2014 Qashqai Tekna
rongil

Post by rongil »

Yes Also new model. Dealer fixed mine with lubrication but came back intermittent . Dealer lubricated again and fix lasted a bit longer but back in next week again. Problem not always apparent but tell dealer it is there.
Hope Nissan can get a fix
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

I had it briefly when it was cold and then only for a couple of minutes into journey. Gone now
Tekna 1.6 CVT Nightshade