Erroneous TPMS Tyre Fault Indication - RESOLVED

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Strangeman

Post by Strangeman »

Evening.
I think I've acquired a gremlin with the TPMS. A On the way home this morning I noticed an amber triangle and tyre logo on the speedo, and a warning on the centre display for a tyre pressure. A I checked the indicated pressures and all the tyres look ok except that the front drivers side tyre is shown in yellow instead of white. A The odd thing is that the indicated pressure ISN'T low.
I've not had any tyre changes on that wheel since owning the car.
I've checked pressures with a fuel station pump and all ok, maybe putting in 1 PSI or so. A However indication of a fault still remains.
I'll locate my handbook later and have a look. A I did see something about calibrating on a menu in the car but need to know what I need to do before I start that.
Any ideas? A Have I just got a duff TPMS sensor or is the car misreading the sensor?Strangeman2015-07-03 14:54:07
Met/Pearl Black 1.6 Tekna Xtronic.

QQ013

Post by QQ013 »

Maybe the heat is causing a sudden change in pressure and as a result the system sees a potential fault?A black tire in the burning sun will heat up quickly.The extreme temps could be causing this.YM2C
QQ 1.6Dig-T Tekna
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Tyres don't really suddenly increase in pressure though with heat and even then its gradual, its more a sudden drop in pressure they are looking for, or a % lower than the computer is told what they should be. I know there is a changeable option to set what the pressures should be (IIRC its a 'when cold' setting), maybe that has been accidently adjusted too high? I don't recall where it is unfortunately!
SplanK2015-07-03 09:32:22
Strangeman

Post by Strangeman »

I've not made any system changes, which is why it's very odd. The target pressures are 33psi on the fronts and the tyre pressure indicates at 34ish. I'm getting the "check cold pressure" message in the TPMS display. I've read the manual and with the changes in temperature lately I might try to recalibrate the sensor system.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

You say 34, I take it this value goes up a PSI or 2 after driving around for a bit, as it would normally?
Strangeman

Post by Strangeman »

Splank, yes it does mo e about by a psi or so either way while driving.

Good news this morning. I ran the calibration from the menu and the fault cleared almost straight away, and it's been fine driving around town this morning.

I suspect a spurious and latched alarm which was easily cleared in the end.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Simon, I know that you have solved this Problem now but I was going to send this yesterday except that our System was down. This might help you in the future to Download : Nissan App / Drivers Guide - My Guide.If you do not have it I would recommend it on your mobile as you can scan the relevant part in the QQ and read the advice. This is the Nissan comment I found yesterday if this is what you mean out of interest - Dave

CHECK COLD TYRE MESSAGE :

When the Tyres are warmed up and the TPMS System detects that a Tyre
Pressure only marginally exceeds the (cold) target pressure, the system will
generate a low tyre pressure warning. If this occurs press the <ENTER>
button on the Steering Wheel to show details on the warning, the TPMS System
will advise you to check and adjust the pressure of the Tyre concerned when the
tyre is cold by displaying the message (Check Cold Tyre).

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Sveneng

Post by Sveneng »

I've just had the same fault occur. Initially on the front left but then it gave us a warning for the front right as well. All tyre pressures indicated normal and on using an old fashioned calibrated pressure gauge it proved the sensors were reading correctly. I couldn't get the system to recalibrate or even alter the default pressure settings over the weekend. I tried to recalibrate again today though and it worked, clearing the fault immediately. Hopefully just a spurious issue that I won't see again.
Brown18

Post by Brown18 »

The low tyre pressure warning flashed for the first time yesterday. Slow puncture in the rear RHS tyre. Aagh!
Fortunately, it could be repaired by the local National Tyres fitter. He assured me that the TPMS would reset itself on the drive home.
It didn't. I used my own gauge and he had put 27 psi in the repaired rear tyre, rather than the required 30 psi.
After pumping it up to 30 psi and switching the ignition off and then on again, the system reset itself. So much for the National Tyres pressure gauge!
I guess the moral of the tale is to always check the tyre pressures yourself after having new tyres, or tyre repairs.
1.6 diesel. Acenta Plus 4WD. Blade Silver.
Dontmessabout

Post by Dontmessabout »

Press enter on the steering wheel to access computer screens.
Find tyre vehicle info. And press reset.
Might take some finding 1st time until you get used to screens. Don't forget up and down function on enter button.