Scratched alloys while cleaning

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Tony30uk

Post by Tony30uk »

Anyone else had this problem? I bought a auto glym wheel brush and my alloys are covered in very fine scratches after I've used it ( only the black bits ) Anyone else found this has happened ?

duncho

Post by duncho »

Alloys are painted so sure you will scratch them with that brush. You can still polish these tiny scratches with polishing ball.
Qashqai J11, 1.6 dCi CVT, ThermaClear

For latest news & tests Subscribe! to my Youtube channel
Order Stop/Start reversing & DRL dim/OFF modules!
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

Not been funny but if your using a stiff brush what do you expect? I never use a brush I have a separate wash mit for the wheels. I test stuff like if it would scratch my self using it it will scratch paintwork. Monkeywba2015-07-18 08:47:23
Jhare

Post by Jhare »

I was having some paint scratches repaired on my wife's car a few days ago (some kind soul thought it would look better with a key scratch along the wing). The paint man was having a look at the QQ. He explained to me how the wheels are finished. They are painted all black and then the diamond milling machine takes a skimming off to reveal the metal. It has some other finishing process, but the end result means that the join between the black paint and silver alloy it quite delicate. His advice was to use a wash-mit, as I do, and nothing more abrasive. He also said not to go anywhere near the many hand carwash establishments that are popping up everywhere. The get a lovely sparkling finish, by using quite aggressive traffic film remover that will attack the paint/metal join and cause the paint to flake eventually.
2014 Tekna 1.2 DIG-T in Magnetic Red
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I purchased one of these. Seems good so far.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel ... heel-brush