Heavy Steering - is it me ?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
jstallan

Post by jstallan »

Not used the QQ much over the past 4 months as I had taken up the option of a company car due to spending long periods on the road - New Skoda Superb Estate (very nice and huge inside!!!)..

Now that I'm getting close to giving the car back due to redundancy I've been out in the QQ a few times (the family prefer it) and noticed that the steering is both heavy and notchy. I've checked the tyre pressures and they are correct, Steering is in NORMAL mode (as opposed to SPORT).

Tyre tread isn't ultra low (about 3-4 mm I'd say), but I don't think it steers as smooth as it used to...

Service is due at the end of the month and I'm planning on mentioning it then, but wondered if others had experienced anything similar.
2014 (64) QashQai 1.5 dci Tekna in Blade Silver

stuiow

Post by stuiow »

I used a VW 2015 Golf for a few days earlier in the year as was away with work.

When I got back into my car I though, jeez this steering is heavy.

My theory is the Golf's steering must have been very light in comparison.
jstallan

Post by jstallan »

I was thinking that as well... I might see my neighbour at the weekend and get him to drive the QQ to see what he thinks...
Cm43

Post by Cm43 »

Hi,
I just wondering if there was any outcome to your QQ heavy steering and notchy feeling , as you have just discribed how my new 16 plate blade silver n etc + drives I have only done 800 miles in it I actually don't enjoy driving this QQ my arms actually ache I owned a QQ 360 for 3 years before this with no issues at all kind of regretting trading up now
jstallan

Post by jstallan »

My neighbour couldn't feel that anything was wrong and neither could the dealer. I even went back to the dealer a second time and went out for a drive with the technician who said "it drives like all the other QashQais".... My last resort is to change the front tyres over to see if that makes a difference - there's still a few thousand miles left in them so maybe in a couple of months..
Cm43

Post by Cm43 »

Hi, Thanks for the speedy reply, not sure weather to pop mine back to the dealer but suspect as you have found they will say it drives like all other QQ's but to me I know it just doesn't feel right it didn't do it at first but the last week or so have noticed the difference.
jstallan

Post by jstallan »

Part of my problem is I had a new Skoda Superb for 6 months as a company car and that was as light as a feather to steer. Just before that arrived the Nissan dealer took my QQ back to get the front wheels refurbished (at their cost) as the black gloss paint had faded but took an age in getting this done. The Skoda arrived and I didn't really drive the QQ much for the next 5 months. The Skoda has now gone (redundancy) and hence I'm noticing the steering....

One option I might try is to pose as a buyer for a petrol QQ. That's not as bad as it seems as I'm seriously thinking about the move away from Diesel given the rapid decline in my annual mileage.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

You could consider upping the tyre pressures a tad: try the reading on the door plate for a full load of passengers\ luggage :)
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
johnbull

Post by johnbull »

Hi, Have you tried the other setting in the menu set up list
Drive carefully, Live longer
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

jstallan, I think this is what John is recommending to try. Section C "Steering Comment" the last line ! - Dave ;)

image.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken