Rear brake discs after 25k 22 months

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Summerjunk

Post by Summerjunk »

Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV get some excellent reviews and can be had for under 100 fully fitted!

AJW01

Post by AJW01 »

I believe this is a manufacturers problem. I have exactly the same problem. At the 2 year service 18,000 miles my rear disks needed replacing. I noticed my rear disks showing signs if corrosion after just 6 months and took photos as evidence. My Nissan garage is suggesting the corrosion is not covered under warranty but i beleive this is simply the wrong material being used for the disks. I am going to an independent expert and will be challenging Nissan over this. I have driven 100,000's of miles in different cars over the last 4 decades and never had to replace rear disks in the first 3 years of all the cars I have leased. I think there are more people suffering with this than Nissan want to admit and only by brining this issue to light and more owners complaining will something get done.
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

Fleabay discs are considerably cheaper and rust only a little faster... ;)
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.
switchback

Post by switchback »

Same for me, never had corroded discs before on any other car but mine are pretty bad. I've managed to reduce it a bit by some hard left foot braking but I think I let it get too bad before trying. Mine is still under warranty so I'll see what they say at the 2nd service. It would be interesting to know if it is an MOT failure or not.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
AJW01

Post by AJW01 »

Is it my imagination or does everyone suffering this problme own the 4x4? Mine is the 4x4 and i know they are not that common but it would explain why this problem is not as common either? There might be a connection here and prhaps the disks fitted to the 4x4 are different or the brake pressure regulator (which limits the brake pressure to the rear wheels to avoid rear wheels locking - most modern cars have them) is different on the 4x4? Does any one know - is there a Nissan Technician out there who might know?
switchback

Post by switchback »

Hadn't noticed that....................we need to differentiate between WEAR and CORROSION though. My problem is corrosion. On some of the posts it's not clear why they need replacing.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
AJW01

Post by AJW01 »

Mine is definately corrosion. Try looking at this in your web browser - https://video.citnow.com/vtNRNvjcXF_
I am not sure if you can view this but it is what my Nissan Dealer sent back in October 2016. The disk surface is now just a series of silver (good) areas and brown / grey (bad) circles - like the pads are rubbing some of the disk but no all the disk.
Its a shame i cant show the images i have now and at 6 months old.
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

Just had 3rd service and first MOT at 8415 miles.
Front discs OK pads 10% worn
Rear pads 85% worn and discs show considerable corrosion after just 8415 miles?
The cause explained to me by Nissan technician is lack of use.
If I accept that, why are the front discs ok and rears badly corroded? Similarly for pad wear. OK the corrosion will wear the pads but I thought when braking the front brake activates slightly earlier than the rear.
I suppose the question this raises is why do the rear discs corrode while the front remains OK.
Suggestions/ideas?
2019 1.3 Tekna Dig-T 160 (Automatic)
2014 1.6 dCi Tekna CVT Bronze Metallic - delivered 9/7/14
switchback

Post by switchback »

teknaken wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:00 am Just had 3rd service and first MOT at 8415 miles.
Front discs OK pads 10% worn
Rear pads 85% worn and discs show considerable corrosion after just 8415 miles?
The cause explained to me by Nissan technician is lack of use.
If I accept that, why are the front discs ok and rears badly corroded? Similarly for pad wear. OK the corrosion will wear the pads but I thought when braking the front brake activates slightly earlier than the rear.
I suppose the question this raises is why do the rear discs corrode while the front remains OK.
Suggestions/ideas?
The rear brakes do hardly any work at all and with only 8415 miles in 3 years corrosion could be a problem as they get wet and corrode when the car is standing. Lack of use means this corrosion develops as it's never cleaned off by hard braking. What doesn't make sense to me is why the rear pads are worn by 85%.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.
AJW01

Post by AJW01 »

I think Nissan have an issue with some of the Rear Disks but they dont want to admit it. However it is a differnet matter proving they have a "bad batch" or have used unsuitable metal. i have had a new car (not Nissan) every three years for the past 20 years (leased) and never had rear disk corrosion like this. I am still battling with my Dealer on this and will update if i make any headway. I think if more people reported it we might be able to build a case for replacement as I beleive "defective materials" have been used.