Rear brake discs after 25k 22 months

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Billgo
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Billgo »

The wear on the rear pads could be down to the electronic brake. When pulling away and relying on the self release puts a lot of pressure on the pads. I always release the brake manually to overcome this.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
2019 QQ 1.3 Petrol. Manual

CJS

Post by CJS »

I had the same scoring on the rear rotors of my Qashqai almost from new. Of course the dealership refused to replace them because of the wear and tear clause. I did manage over 100,000kms on the same rear rotors and pads with a BMW years ago and also on my Touran more recently. I have always taken care to thoroughly clean the rotors and calipers each week and blast them with air to dry them. I also try to avoid heavy braking. I now have 50,000kms on the Qasqai and the pads appear to have plenty of life left in them. All this tends to make me think the original rear rotors may be of poor quality. I have noticed similar scoring on other Nissans parked in the street. Anyone else had this problem?
Qashqai J11 1.6D Tekna automatic
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Mine has done 24K, 30 months old. Only had the car 3 months so I don't know if the brakes/pads are still the originals.

The pads visually look fine. The rear disks are scored which reading this thread seems common.

I get a slight squeal braking when turning left.

The main thing is, they work, I had to do an emergency stop earlier this week for the first time in ages and it stopped nice and quick and smoothly.

The electric parking brake is quite noisy, a big whirring noise as they apply. Is this normal?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
CJS

Post by CJS »

I think the parking brake noise is normal - I suppose it is good to have an audible indication that it is engaged. I like its faultless operation during hill starts.
Qashqai J11 1.6D Tekna automatic
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

Having been informed of the corrosion on my rear discs I have now purchased a set of Mintex rear discs and pads.
I'd like to know if anyone has had theirs replaced other than by a Nissan dealer.
I ask because this morning I happened to read online that special software is needed to release the electronic rear brake on the J11. Is this correct?
I would be grateful for any relevant info.
Thanks
Ken
2019 1.3 Tekna Dig-T 160 (Automatic)
2014 1.6 dCi Tekna CVT Bronze Metallic - delivered 9/7/14
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

Me again!!
I have just been thinking about my previous post.
When my battery failed after 2 years the car was nose in to my garage door and with the electronic brake applied and unable to be released proved to be something of a problem.
When the vehicle went in for it's recent service and MOT I requested that the automatic operation of the electronic parking brake be removed.
It is now manually operated so I am hoping that by chance I have negated the need for a diagnosic tool to be used to remove the rear discs and pads.
I will find out tomorrow when I take the car to my non-franchised repair workshop. Meanwhile I wonder if anyone can confirm that my thinking is correct.
Thanks
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

Update:
A diagnostic tool is required to rewind the EPB.
I have been unable to find a suitably equipped garage yet and I have a feeling that I could yet end up at my Nissan dealer (if they are prepared to fit discs and pads that I provide).
Out of interest I have made a few enquiries on-line as to the available of a suitable wind-back tool and so far it appears that although they are available (at a price of course) for VAG and multiple other makes, Nissan seems to be an oddball. Can't source one anywhere.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

teknaken wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:09 pm Update:
A diagnostic tool is required to rewind the EPB.
I have been unable to find a suitably equipped garage yet and I have a feeling that I could yet end up at my Nissan dealer (if they are prepared to fit discs and pads that I provide).
Out of interest I have made a few enquiries on-line as to the available of a suitable wind-back tool and so far it appears that although they are available (at a price of course) for VAG and multiple other makes, Nissan seems to be an oddball. Can't source one anywhere.
Does this mean Halfords, Kwik-Fit, National, ATS and all the other high street chains are not able to fit brakes to a J11 Qashqai? Bit of a monopoly there by Nissan if true as we're approaching the time that loads of J11s are probably coming up to their first MOTs and require brakes.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

I have been unable to find a local garage able to do the job. Will investigate National/ATS later this week.

I will be really annoyed if Nissan have a monopoly on this. As I wrote in my previous post, I have been unable to source a suitable diagnostic tool for purchase. Most makes available with the exception of Nissan.
teknaken

Post by teknaken »

An hour ago I registered my vehicle with AA Automyze (Free of charge).

Already come back with a quoted price of £97.70 incl.VAT. The garage is 6 miles from my home.
I will wait a day to see if I receive any other quotes.