2014 New Shape Tekna Tyres?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
JamieT

Post by JamieT »

Hi,
Apologies, sorry if this question has been raised previously, but cant seem to find a clear answer.
We currently have this car on lease and it is due for return next month.
We are under 2mm tread on front tyres and lease company will not accept return when under this so need to replace two front tyres.
Can we replace with a cheaper alternative? The current Continentals are a bit expensive to purchase for only a short benefit to ourselves, however the garage are unsure whether we can fit a cheaper alternative?
We have phoned round a few garages for advice ...."You need to replace with continentals as it effects the rolling resistance of the car" and
"You dont need to have the same, its customers preference"
The mixed responses have now placed doubt in our minds, as we do not want to purchase a cheaper option if it will cause a problem.
Anyone else faced this problem from the garage and what tyre option did you go for?

Tyre size - 225/45 R19 96W

Appreciate your advice,
Thanks, Jamie

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

I'd have thought you need clarification from lease coy, as if you fit different brand, they may refuse to accept & you have to arrange for originals to be purchased :(

As long as tyre is of a size that matches I'd have said should be OK; they are pricey as that size is not that common;
see
http://www.asdatyres.co.uk/225-45-19
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Deleted User 2899

Post by Deleted User 2899 »

Dont forget to have a search around for some 'part worns' first. That might solve your problems !
JamieT

Post by JamieT »

Thanks for your reply's ended up getting some 6mm tread part worn continental contact 5 off of ebay for £115 with £36 to fit at local tyre place.

Jamie
S_J_P

Post by S_J_P »

As far as I'm aware the minimum legal tread depth is 1.6mm across three quarters of the tread width, I would not have thought the lease company have any say in tyre condition if it is above this limit?

I would also be extremely hesitant at fitting any part-worn tyres as you have zero knowledge of their history and gambling with a safety-critical component is literally a life or death gamble!
Gun-Metal DiG-T 140 Tekna Arrived 19-03-19
Gun-Metal 1.2 DiG-T N-Connecta [Comfort & Heat Packs] Arrived 27-05-16
JamieT

Post by JamieT »

The lease company have said 2mm or they will refuse to take the car and yes you are correct 1.6mm is the legal limit.

I understand what your saying about safety i would rather save myself £210 on something that wont benefit me
omegadeep

Post by omegadeep »

Personally I'd not motor in winter on anything less that 3mm in winter. Even tyres which are up to legal requirements have much longer stopping distances, especially in bad weather. No way would I put my life at risk with part worn tyres, and I don't find money that easy when replacement time comes.
A car is just a set of four wheels and four seats to enable one to travel from a to b. all other perceptions are individual illusions of the thought process.
ynysygwas

Post by ynysygwas »

I have my Tekna on a pcp contract and at the 1st service, a couple of months back, the Nissan main dealer offered to replace the front tyres with budget ones for around £90 each. So I don't see how Contis are compulsory. The dealer said they always kept a stock of budget tyres for their customers.
A Tekna, because I admit I need all the help I can get.
simmo400

Post by simmo400 »

Found some N8000 nexen tyres 225/45/19 /w/ for £114 fitted. Bargain. Autotradetyres.
Simmo