Tyre rotation and the TPMS

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Tamtoot
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Tamtoot »

P.S. I forgot to indicate that my QQ was bought 2nd hand from Arnold Clark in January this year with 6050 miles on the clock. 1st registered 05/01/2017.

Cheers

benchmark

Post by benchmark »

Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

Benchmark,

Thank you for your kind response.
Thanks to Dr Google, I have now established that the correct TPMS sensor type is a VDO TG1D as below.
http://www.vdo.co.uk/media/189797/2016- ... n-list.pdf
Nissan Qashqai (J11) 10.2016 - 407004CB0A. That number is clearly shown on the inoperable TPMS sensor that was returned to me by the Nissan dealer..
As shown, VDO have two types for the QQ, TG1C & TG1D, The one you refer to is the TG1C for the J11 - 10.2014 - 09.2016.

So armed with this info I am going back to Nissan to meet the Service Manager and advise hime to correct his staff on QQ TPMS types.
By advising me that I have non-genuine TPMS valves fitted to all 4 wheels, he inferred that my insurance was invalid and that he returned my vehicle in an unfit for the road state. By not offering to replace the faulty TPMS unit, he purposely disabled my TPMS system. As they are now an MOT item; when the TPMS systems start to 'play up' in big numbers, I believe that Nissan and others, may be on shaky ground legally if they release a car back to the customer if the TPMS warning light is on.
Regards,
Tamtoot
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Tamtoot wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 7:01 am Benchmark,

Thank you for your kind response.
Thanks to Dr Google, I have now established that the correct TPMS sensor type is a VDO TG1D as below.
http://www.vdo.co.uk/media/189797/2016- ... n-list.pdf
Nissan Qashqai (J11) 10.2016 - 407004CB0A. That number is clearly shown on the inoperable TPMS sensor that was returned to me by the Nissan dealer..
As shown, VDO have two types for the QQ, TG1C & TG1D, The one you refer to is the TG1C for the J11 - 10.2014 - 09.2016.

So armed with this info I am going back to Nissan to meet the Service Manager and advise hime to correct his staff on QQ TPMS types.
By advising me that I have non-genuine TPMS valves fitted to all 4 wheels, he inferred that my insurance was invalid and that he returned my vehicle in an unfit for the road state. By not offering to replace the faulty TPMS unit, he purposely disabled my TPMS system. As they are now an MOT item; when the TPMS systems start to 'play up' in big numbers, I believe that Nissan and others, may be on shaky ground legally if they release a car back to the customer if the TPMS warning light is on.
Regards,
Tamtoot
Quick question, what wheels have you got and what size of tyres? Its perfectly possible that your wheels were swapped prior to you purchasing the car, in which case you could well have none OEM TPMSs fitted.
How exactly did he disable the system?
How does he know that all 4 corners are none OEM?
Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

gvmdaddy,

They are 4 x Nissan wheels, 225/45 R19 W

Qashqai Wheel .jpg

Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

gvmdaddy,

Sorry I didn't finish my note to you.
I do not know how he disabled the system, all I know is that none of the previously shown 3 x tyre pressures showed up on my 16 mile return trip. I haven't been out today as yet so if it changes I will advise. How he knows they are all non-OEMs is a mystery to me too.
Regards,

Tamtoot
Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

Nissan have just come back to me with a price to change all four TPMS units at £291.55 incl.
They quote part number 407005663R plus a retaining nut 40780JA01B.

This is the aluminium type valve which have caused problems due to corrosion I understand.
What type of valves do you 2016 -2018 QQ Teckna DCT owners have fitted on your vehicles. Rubber or Aluminium?

Thank you
paplane

Post by paplane »

Firstly, when you say your insurance is invalid, whether the tpms is oem or not, if it's working then the car is 'roadworthy', is it not?

And, If the true test of roadworthiness is a valid MOT certificate, then surely your OK until the car is 3 years old, ie until it legally requires an MOT?

And finally, if you don't persuade them to replace the TPMS under warranty then I'd go elsewhere and get a 2nd opinion off another Nissan dealer. There's lots around. If I were you and you don't get an appropriate response I'd be tempted to ask them (the 1st dealer) to put the car back to how they found it, ie with 3 sensors working OK and one defective, so that the 2nd dealer can diagnose and rectify the issue correctly.

Your car may have had a puncture at some point and the sensor damaged when replaced? May explain how they don't recognise it.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on. Please keep us updated if you can.
Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

Good day paplane,

Thanks for your response and suggestions.
The local Nissan dealer has disabled my TPMS system, so if I have an accident and the insurers establish that the TPMS warning light is enabled and one or more wheels were showing low pressure, what do you think the insurer would say?

I tried to re-activate the TPMS system as described in the QQ Owners Manual, section 5.7.. 'Run the engine for +20 minutes and then drive the vehicle for several minutes between 20 & 100 Kph. The TPMS sensorID and position will automatically be detected'. I ran it for 30 minutes to be sure but no change after a 16 mile journey at an average of 50+MPH. All 4 TPMS indicators reading zero PSI.
Prior to Nissan's mechanic checking the system, I had three good TPMS indications. One left front @ 33PSI & both rears @ 30PSI, as per the book.
When I got the car back yesterday, a plastic cover was laying in the drivers footwell. It had been removed from directly under the dash. It seemed to have electronic connectors etc in there. So I didn't investigate further but replaced the cover.

I take your point re a puncture causing damage to the sensor at some time in the past but impossible for me to determine.

I will need to have a look at some 2016-2018 model QQ's to see what their TPMS valves look like. Or can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks & regards,
Tamtoot
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Steel/alloy valve stems. No corrosion. OBD port under cover below steering wheel. Price quoted for 4x tpms is excessive, knock £100 off that is more realistic. Go back and insist they revert the vehicle settings to show the working sensors then just get replacements for the faulty ones. No requirement for them to be OEM ones, go to a tyre depot.