Tyre rotation and the TPMS

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

This is something I knocked up in 2014 (might a little old now) when I was interested in the TPMS Valves, this might be a complete waste of time to some, others it might well be helpful - Dave :D

There are lots of discussions arising over Tyres / Wheels / Space Saver Wheels / Gunk etc so I just thought I would throw some light on the subject of TPMS. „The Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) continuously monitors the pressure of the road wheels against the set target pressures. If the pressure of one or more tyres significantly deviates from the target value, the TPMS will provide a warning on the vehicle information display and the warning light in the combimeter will illuminate” – Nissan Users Guide !

Direct TPMS. operates using a sensor mounted inside of each wheel on a vehicle valve-stem mounted. These sensors take direct air pressure measurements from within the Tyre and communicate this information back to the vehicle’s computer system using radio frequency. If a tyre’s pressure falls below a pre-determined threshold (typically 25% below the manufacturer’s recommended cold inflation pressure), a warning indicator light will appear on the dashboard to alert the driver to an inflation problem.

TPMS Valve.jpg

TPMS Parts.jpg

TPMS Valve Parts.jpg

Routine maintenance of valve-stem-mounted sensors should be performed every time a tyre is repaired or replaced. This maintenance involves disassembling the sensor and replacing a few key components to ensure a proper air-tight seal and to clean away any corrosion that may have built up between services. Valve stem mounted sensors are powered by a small lithium battery which is encased in rubber and is non-serviceable. Once the battery comes to the end of its life, the entire sensor must be replaced and the new sensor ID must be programmed into the vehicle’s computer system. The typical lifespan of a battery can range from 4-10 years, depending largely on how many miles are driven. TPMS sensors are produced by several different manufacturers and may use different radio frequencies, so care must be taken to select the appropriate sensor for the specific vehicle being serviced.
For example a set of TPMS Valves for a QQ 2014 model (40700-3VUOA / 40780-JAO1B) here costs €59 for a set of 4.
Four key components of a valve-stem mounted sensor which should be replaced at every tire service:

1. Sensor-to-wheel rubber grommet seal (2)
2. Valve stem nut (fastens the sensor to the wheel) (3)
3. Nickel-plated valve core (located inside the valve stem) (in 3)
4. Self-sealing plastic or metal valve stem cap (4)

TPMS Exploded View.jpg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken

PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

I had a tire pressure warning today I checked the tire and the pressure is fine. The warning still shows on the dash but the tire pressure display shows that the pressure is fine!!!!!!

Rang up the dealer and booked the car in.
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.