Tyre rotation and the TPMS

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Tamtoot
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Tamtoot »

gvmdaddy,

Amazing...Nissan have come back to tell me that to confirm if the TPMS valves as fitted to my QQ were not genuine, they would have to remove all four wheels. The earlier statement they made was not correct. Load of B..S in telling me I would have to have 4 new TPMS semsors and valves fitted.

I will now purchase a Nissan OEM 407004CB0B - VDO TG1D, 'Snap in' TPMS Sensor & Valve, same as I have fitted on the other three wheels.

Thanks for everyone's interest and input to my TPMS problem.

There will be more of this cashgrab being made by auto dealers as the TPMS revenue stream awareness continues.
Regards
Tamtoot

paplane

Post by paplane »

I was in a tyre fitting garage a few weeks ago while they were switching some wheel over and started talking to the guy about TPMS sensors.

Granted, it was a bit of a back-street outfit but the guy there had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned the TPMS sensors. I came away staggered that someone who deals with tyres and wheels for a living could be so ignorant about the subject.

That's why I said earlier in the thread that a sensor might be very easily damaged by some brutal tyre fitter who has no idea how these things work or how expensive they are to replace when he's ripping the tyre off the rim.

Glad you're sorted. Watch out for the diamond cut rims when the remove and re-fit the tyre - they're made of cheese and easily scratched.
Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

Good day paplane,

I too had the same experience recently at our quite busy local tyre repair franchise. 'Any TPMS issues...we direct them to Perth or Dundee'
They will soon learn and regret!
I share your theory of a hamfister repairing a previous puncture on that wheel.
Point taken on the wheel valve re-fitting. The place I have in mind has all the necessary equipment and knowhow.

Cheers.
Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

Morning paplane, gvmdaddy,

A couple of days ago I contacted Nissan Parts Direct asking what TPMS sensor/valve part I require for my QQ. I provided my vehicle details including the VIN. They came back late yesterday to say that I require Nissan part reference 407004CB0B....same as I thought and have been contesting with the local Nissan Dealer's Service Dept..

I copied Nissan Parts reply it to the Nissan dealer's 'Senior Service Advisor' whom I have been communicating with since Monday and have asked her to repay me the £72 diagnostic charge they took from me. Her Response - she is not in the office today!

I think I now have a bit of strength in my case for a TPMS repair under Nissan warranty.

WKUA.
Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

Good day Paplane, Gvmdaddy,

On Wednesday I took my QQ to another local Nissan dealer to have the OSF wheel TPMS sensor/valve replaced, in the hope that the system would reactivate. No luck.
The TPMS sensor/valve was replaced ( Pt No.: 40700-4CB0B) with their report stating the other three valves are standard rubber types with no sensors attached.
I had a lenghty chat with the Warranty Advisor who demonstrated that the valves fitted on the other three wheels are standard 'bendy' rubber and not the 'stiffer' Nissan type of valve. I queried in that case how come the system worked before and not now? He could not speculate but if I was willing to pay for it, he could remove the wheels to check. I declined this.
I left a bit frustrated but no further forward, so decided to take the car to a local tyre fitter and have the other wheels removed to check.
The tyre fitter agreed to remove them there and then. He informed me before removing the wheels, that the three valves as fitted were standrad rubber valves....Anyway we found each of the TPMS sensors, same part number - 40700-4CB0B - with steel stems attached, laying loose inside each tyre. Gobsmacked!
The tyre fitter advised in his experince of TPMS over the past few years he has never seen this. How anyone would attempt to fit TPMS sensors stems into std rubber valves, apart from being daft, was dangerous, as the loose steel stem could have possibly eventually chewed its way through the tyre case causing a major accident. As the battery and electronics in each unit was still functioning OK they remained active on the vehicle TPMS system.
As I will never establish who or why someone changed the original valves, or that it could be considered a warranty issue, I have decided to call it a day and have requested Nissan to fit another three new Nissan TPMS sensor/valves.
I just wonder how many vehicles, of any make, are driving around the UK with loose active TPMS sensors, complete with steel stems attached, bobbing about the inside of tyres.
Moral of the story: Check your new 2nd hand vehicle for bendy rubber wheel valves..

Cheers,
Tamtoot
Tamtoot

Post by Tamtoot »

P.S. It appears I owe the first Nissan dealer I contacted on this issue, an apology...
Ho Hum.
Clarky94
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Clarky94 »

Can you post a pictures of the 2 types of valves
Current Car Qashqai 2017 j11b 1.5dci Tekna Grey
Coming Soon Qashqai 2021 J12 Tekna 158 in Mag Blue inc Fog Lights
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Clarky94 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:20 pm Can you post a pictures of the 2 types of valves
Seeing as they are inside the tyre it would prove extremely difficult!
Gel

Post by Gel »

Certainly MERIT Tyre chain, ATS/NTS & KwikFit are aware of TPMS, and of course will be a continuing /expanding add on revenue earner for them.
http://www.merityre.co.uk/tyre-pressure ... ing-system
https://www.national.co.uk/information/ ... eplacement
https://www.atseuromaster.co.uk/consume ... vices/tpms
https://www.kwik-fit.com/tyres/information/tpms
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
PJB729

Post by PJB729 »

I am sure that I heard on US radio that Nissan have a recall for faulty TPMS devices in the USA
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2016 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5dci Tekna + 2019 Magnetic Red
QQ 1.5 e-power Tekna 2024 Fuji Sunset Red.