Tyre rotation and the TPMS

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
lythamlife

Post by lythamlife »

I read in an earlier post that following tyre rotation, the TPMS sensors would automatically register the change and so no further action would be required.
However, in Section 5-7 of the owner's manual under the heading TPMS Sensor Id and position recognition, and sub heading After tyre rotation the text reads "After relocating the TPMS sensors on the vehicle..........The TPMS sensor IDs and position will automatically be detected and the new TPMS sensor locations will be registered"

Note the subtle difference between the two. I think the manual is suggesting that each sensor is location dependent and therefore if wheels are rotated then likewise for the sensors.

Have an owners had experience of rotating tyres and if so what's the story regarding the TPMS sensors.

The reason I'm asking is that my car recently had its second service and both front tyres were down to 3 to 4 mm while both rears were at 6mm (the odometer reading was 8694 miles). When I asked the dealership why the tyres were not rotated to even out the wear I was advised that they no longer provided this service free of charge because the TPMS sensors are coded to each wheel. I'm also on the last year of a 3 year PCP contract and do not want to be faced with being charged for 2 new tyres if I choose to hand the car back.
1.2 DIG-T Tekna in Pearl Black - Current expected delivery date is 13 May 2014 - actually delivered in April.

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

The sensors do in fact adjust automatically after a few miles. Tyre rotation is offered as part of a Nissan Service so insist that it's done. Some garages just can't be bothered.
Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

Yes this confused me when I first changed my wheels for winter. When the independent garage plugged his gizmo into the car it told him the car would automatically recognise them and it did.
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
rod9669

Post by rod9669 »

swapped mine diagonally (I'm old fashioned) a few weeks ago - within 10 miles or so they had re-set themselves. Just remember to adjust the pressure manually when cold as the front and rear are different
ariagha
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by ariagha »

Hi
I have same issue i rotaed my tyres twice and still not read right rear are front.
I tried calibrate and reset = same
I strated the car and didnt drive it over 20 minutes and drove it then 20 and 100 KM/H as they wrote on the instruction bok

any suggestion ?
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I thought the sensors were just bluetooth transmitters built in to the valve - so how would they know which wheel they were on and detect a rotation?
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I should imagine its two receivers and a bit of timing. The rotation will be using a little centrifugal force to activate the sensor.
chrisw99 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:26 am I thought the sensors were just bluetooth transmitters built in to the valve - so how would they know which wheel they were on and detect a rotation?
Billgo
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Billgo »

I changed just two wheels diagonally this week, as the front nearside was showing some wear. The sensors worked without any bother.

2014 1.5dci J11A.
2014 QQ 1.5 Dci.
2019 QQ 1.3 Petrol. Manual
Tamtoot
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Tamtoot »

Good day all,

My 2017 QQ 1.6 TEKNA DCI CVT (purchased in January this year) TPMS warning light has come on and off intermittently since March but in the last few days is now on full time. The tyre pressures have been checked (cold) and confirmed OK at 33PSI (as set) and further checked at least six times in the last few days.
Some days this changes to indicate the front right wheel has no pressure or 30PSI but rear right pressure flips with with no pressure or 33PSI. The other two show constant 33PSI.
I have done a TYRE RESET and CALIBRATE on 'Settings', 'Maintenance' with no change to the warning light noted.

The service is not due until January so no immediate concerns but before I have to take it in for a system check or lash out for 4 new TPMS units, I would really like to try and resolve this if possible, so would appreciate any pointers anyone out there can provide.

Thank you & regards,

Tamtoot
Tamtoot
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Tamtoot »

Good day,

I took my QQ to the local dealer today for a check on the TPMS system.
They advise that the faulty front right TPMS sensor had come adrift from the valve stem and had been floating around the inside of the tyre.
They also advised that all four TPMS units as fitted, are not genuine Nissan original units.
What they did not advise is the Manufacturer/Details of the genuine Nissan TPMS units which should have been in place. Does anyone know?

I have the offending TPMS sensor which has lots of numbers with a Nissan/Renault title, and on the back of the sensor's clear plastic battery case has marked PA6-12 GF33 - Continental
How & why the 4 x TPMS valve unitss were swapped out remains a mystery, as the vehicle is only 17 months old and the tyres appear to be the genuine article, 4 x Continental ContiSports all in good nick.
Apologies for the photo quality.

Thank you

QQ TPMS.jpg