Handbrake issue? Orange ! light and flashing P light.

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

Driving home from work this afternoon and I noticed the orange ( ! ) was lit. Nothing felt untoward, car drove fine.

Then I parked on a hill, HSA kicked in, but I decided to hit the handbrake. That's when I noticed that the red ( P ) light was flashing rather than static, and the light on the handbrake button was flashing at the same time. I toggled it a few times but each time the brake applied the same thing, flashing lights...... great!

So, taking a page from my 'first point of call' when a user calls me for IT help, turn it off and on again. That seemed to clear the error and didn't re-occur on the trip back home.

Anybody else come across this?

Dr_Niss

Post by Dr_Niss »

Yes. Occasionally after being sat with the engine idling for a while my orange warning light comes on also. Turning off and opening and closing the driver's door also seems to reset it until the next time. Happens infrequently and will mention it at the second service but as it is intermittent I am not hopeful that they find something to fix.
J11 Tekna 1.6 4WD Ink Blue Collected 26th September 2014
Zunsport Black Grill. Bonnet protector. Bonnet struts. Dashcam.
Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

I had exactly the same thing on Sunday, turned car off and back on and the fault went, it's happened a couple of times over the 2 years we have had it.

Just put it down to one of those things, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Deleted User 759

Did it correspond with the flashing (P) when the handbrake was applied at all?

Seemed fine this morning, and I would usually leave it as that, but as it seems to highlight a possible problem with the brakes....
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Does the QQ have pad wear sensor does fitted? Would the same warning show if there was a fault with the sensors on the abs system? This happened to me on an old Megan. Jet washed under the car and it cleaned the muck off the sensors.
Deleted User 759

I think not given the amount of people who have reported surprised bill at service for rear brake pad/disc replacement! Last service a few months ago suggested that disc/pad ware was acceptable.

If the pads were low to bring it on, I would expect to be seeing it after resetting it but so far its been behaving itself, even parking on a decent incline at the office car park!

Ironically, I did jet wash the car on Sunday (first time since it was last done at its service in March), however only showed up yesterday as I was leaving work (flat car park, nothing unusual regarding my exit of the car park).

Maybe just one of those things!
smk001

Post by smk001 »

Did you ever find an answer as to why this was happening? Same thing happened to me today.
Not sure the parking brake actually kicked in properly when the light was flashing as I did not feel the slight jump in the car when the brake activates but the car didn't move. When I restarted all was back to normal.
Robqai

Post by Robqai »

Hi, I’ve had the same problem with my car, started a couple of months back (about 4k miles). Orange low brake fluid lit up after coming off a motorway onto roundabout, stopped and check fluid level, still full. Also checked brake pedal no sponginess still solid when pressed. Re-starting engine clears the fault but as happen on numerous occasions. Also started flashing when e handbrake button applied along with handbrake button flashing at the same time.

When the car in for its’ first service and I asked dealership to check this out, me suggesting there may be a faulty fluid level sensor. Their engineer stated that the low level indication light had be triggered but would need the car for a car to fully check for the fault, now waiting for a date to take in.

The fault continues and seems be becoming more frequent, most days but not every journey, switching off engine and restart clears fault every time but I’ve started to ensure car is left in gear each time I park up just in case.
65 plate J11 1.5 dci Pearl black Tekna; Sill guards, Dash Cam 50+MPG (best 68 mpg)
Deleted User 759

My issue has never been repeated.... saying that in the last 2 months its spent it all bar 4 days parked under my car port!
smk001

Post by smk001 »

Brought it into the dealers and they replaced the "brake control unit" and it has not happened again so far. Once the guy there heard what was happening and the age of the car (2014), he suggested this immediately so it may be starting to come through as a known issue.