Name this sound?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

so i thought everything was super until yesterday :/

i had the windows open and was doing a bit of forward / reverse shuffling at low speed. when i press the brake, like a clunk sound occurs, only once, however if i change from say drive to reverse when i tap the brake the same thing happens. it only happens once in the same direction.

Anyone know what this could be? ill try and get a recording later today.
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector

Monkeywba

Post by Monkeywba »

Known problem by Nissan, has been reported by several members, it's the brake pads moving in the callipers, nissan dealers have tried things like taking pads out and re copper slipping them, it only makes it quite for a week or so then returns.
I've just learned to live with mine doing it, nothing we can do.
craigstekna

Post by craigstekna »

Thanks man,

at least i know its broken by design and not something I have done :)
J11 - QQ 1.6 130 Dci Automagic Tekna, Pearl white, Sept 2014 :D FULL LED upgrade to all interior/exterior lights, china crossover pack, mud-flaps, sill guards and hood deflector
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Always done it on mine. As you say, you only hear it with the windows down. Nissan say it's normal.
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

gvmdaddy wrote:Always done it on mine. As you say, you only hear it with the windows down. Nissan say it's normal.
Is it a sort of metallic sound that you get? & is it only at slow speeds and when you tap on the brakes lightly?
Mine has been doing the same since a few months, was told during the service, that its normal and can happen when starting off after a long period of rest. But off late, I start hearing it even after abt 20 mins of driving in low speed and light braking conditions. Hence just booked her in for a check-up next thursday.
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

It sounds like twopieces of alloy clanking together, like a dull metalic thud. Happens all the time when braking, but you only hear it with the windows down. Happens at all speeds but you hear it less at speed because of the windrush noise. Looked at the brakes and nothing feels loose or looks to be getting worn or damaged in a way it shouldnt. Ive learned to live with it, but it does get a little annoying at times.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Well I must admit I have not heard this problem because I have the windows closed most of the time. There are comments also on the "Other" QQ Forum regarding the J10 & J11 - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

An update - was told by the technician at the dealer that this sound is normal in the J11 QQ. He said that the brakes on the J11 are better than on the J10 cause the pad is much closer to the disc and after long periods of rest , they are almost touching each other hence the first few times, they are coming into their correct slots !!! Well, I had to go by that. They anyways greased the brakes and as I was pulling out the dealership I heard the noise again. But I now only hear it on starting in the morning & reversing out of my garage and no longer on the road.(Been keeping a ear out for it with the windows rolled down)

Thanks to this forum, I going to worry less and learn to live it.
Will request for it be greased every service from now on though :-)
1.5 dCi 360. Ink Blue; Mud Flaps and Internal rubber mats & after market door sill plates.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

'coming Into their correct slots'
What the heck does that mean?
ThreeSixty

Post by ThreeSixty »

gvmdaddy wrote:'coming Into their correct slots'
What the heck does that mean?
Was my reaction when I heard it as well. :shock: