Rust on Brakes - 3 Week Old Car

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
qqq2016

Post by qqq2016 »

Hello all - newbie here so hoping you can help.

Having taken delivery of a brand new N-Connecta - I was very surprised to find that my brake pads had seemingly started to rust...

I have added a picture to this so should hopefully give an indication. This is the worse one - the others better but I reckon will go too.

Is this normal? I am so disappointed... :(

Wheel.jpg

Paul L

Post by Paul L »

brake discs are made from steel. they get surface rust.
it's not pretty but it won't detract from them working
2015 Acenta 1.5 DCI. Smart Vision Pack. Nightshade
Bonnet struts
Must get those mud flaps fitted !
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Firstly welcome to the Forum.
You will normally find some rust on the Discs especially if you have had a lot of wet weather, but this looks a little bit over the top. It looks like the QQ has been left out in a wet field or open for some time, also the insides of the Alloys look lined with the Rusty particles from the Discs. I would suggest with the photos having a word with your Dealer, was a PDC carried out and did you not notice this when picking up the QQ - Dave ;)
Ps would suggest cleaning the inside of the Alloys ASAP due to the Rust Deposits.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
qqq2016

Post by qqq2016 »

Thanks both of you guys - appreciated.

When I picked it up - they weren't like that at all!! It was all shiny and new. I don't particularly want all four wheels to look like this! :(

I am going back to the dealer on Thursday (for another issue!) so I am going to mention this - I just don't think a 3 week old car should be like this. It's been kept on my drive and it has done less than 200 miles. No off road driving, just city and one A road.

Thank you also for the tip on the inside of the Alloys - what would you recommend I use to clean it please?
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

As already said, yes it is normal to get surface rust on the brake 'discs' (not pads). Mine can show rust like yours after just 2 days on the drive without use. Just one or two braking cycles clear the rust from the contact surface, and a little rain or a car wash clear the discoloration from the outer edge of the discs and the drums. It really is normal and nothing to be concerned about. Its due to the material composition of the discsxand drums. You could leave the car unused for months and the 'rust/discolouration' would not get any worse, it really is only cosmetic. Its a bit like cleaning brass or copper. You can polish it to look immaculate, then a couple of weeks later it looks tarnished and it needs cleaning again, but if you left it tarnished then the surface corrosion protects the pure metal underneath.
Some members have commented on this previously and have either learned to live with the discolouration, or have taken the time and trouble to remove the wheels, sand off the drums and apply a black paint/lacquer to help preserve the clean looks. The original finish on the drums is not coated, hence the discolouration you have encountered.
qqq2016

Post by qqq2016 »

gvmdaddy wrote:As already said, yes it is normal to get surface rust on the brake 'discs' (not pads). Mine can show rust like yours after just 2 days on the drive without use. Just one or two braking cycles clear the rust from the contact surface, and a little rain or a car wash clear the discoloration from the outer edge of the discs and the drums. It really is normal and nothing to be concerned about. Its due to the material composition of the discsxand drums. You could leave the car unused for months and the 'rust/discolouration' would not get any worse, it really is only cosmetic. Its a bit like cleaning brass or copper. You can polish it to look immaculate, then a couple of weeks later it looks tarnished and it needs cleaning again, but if you left it tarnished then the surface corrosion protects the pure metal underneath.
Some members have commented on this previously and have either learned to live with the discolouration, or have taken the time and trouble to remove the wheels, sand off the drums and apply a black paint/lacquer to help preserve the clean looks. The original finish on the drums is not coated, hence the discolouration you have encountered.
Oh, I see - did not know that. This is my first brand new car so learning as I go along. Thank you!

Sorry to sound silly but for the sake of my sanity.... if I read that correct - more use will make the discolouration lessen? As will a wash?

I walked up the road to see another QQ and theirs were all 'okay' and didn't have any issues - presumably they have just used the car more!

I doubt I'll be one of the ones who will do the removal - so I guess i'll just need to live with it or use the car more... :D :D

Thanks again
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

You will find that everybody has their own preferences regarding cleaning. What I have used for years on our Alloys Summer & Winter is the following : firstly Spray the Alloys with W5 Wheel Cleaner (yes from Lidl never had a problem), then a High Pressure Wash (Jet not too near), clean with soft brushes (be careful with hard brushes = scratches) and dry with a Leather & Micro Fibre clothes. I then use Mequiars Ultimate Quick Wax Spray, Dry & Polish and then finally I apply Nigrin Wheel Sealer which is Nano based and this helps to protect against corrosion from Brake Dust. Then the Final Polish - as mentioned this is my system just as a guide Dave :)

IMG_0688.JPG

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I'm going with this reply from Dave, that looks very excessive corrosion. The car may have even been kept near the sea?
DaveBerlin wrote:Firstly welcome to the Forum.
You will normally find some rust on the Discs especially if you have had a lot of wet weather, but this looks a little bit over the top. It looks like the QQ has been left out in a wet field or open for some time, also the insides of the Alloys look lined with the Rusty particles from the Discs. I would suggest with the photos having a word with your Dealer, was a PDC carried out and did you not notice this when picking up the QQ - Dave ;)
Ps would suggest cleaning the inside of the Alloys ASAP due to the Rust Deposits.
qqq2016

Post by qqq2016 »

Thanks mate.

We live in Brighton but we are quite far from the sea!

Are you thinking that a clean with a jet wash & more use won't get rid? And that I should be quite firm with the dealers?

Thanks in advance!

Daewar wrote:I'm going with this reply from Dave, that looks very excessive corrosion. The car may have even been kept near the sea?
DaveBerlin wrote:Firstly welcome to the Forum.
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

qqq2016 wrote:Thanks mate.

We live in Brighton but we are quite far from the sea!

Are you thinking that a clean with a jet wash & more use won't get rid? And that I should be quite firm with the dealers?

Thanks in advance!
Maybe get an independent view ?
I guess if you knew a mechanic you would have already asked but maybe getting the RAC in for an opinion (use that free membership !).
If an august body like the RAC say "they're dodgy mate" it'll give you significant leverage when you go to your dealer to address the problem.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)