Rust on Brakes - 3 Week Old Car

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

If I was you I would try spotting some other QQs near by and take a look at their brakes if possible. Try look at a range of car ages, 14, 15, 16 plates and this will give you a good idea what may be going on. If they all look like your brakes then its the location, if its only new cars, then its probably to do with a change in the material they are manufactured from.

Washing the car will always help if you are getting salt on them, but the type of brake we have on most mass manufactured cars will always rust when contacting water due to the high iron content.
qqq2016 wrote:Thanks mate.

We live in Brighton but we are quite far from the sea!

Are you thinking that a clean with a jet wash & more use won't get rid? And that I should be quite firm with the dealers?

Thanks in advance!

Daewar wrote:I'm going with this reply from Dave, that looks very excessive corrosion. The car may have even been kept near the sea?
DaveBerlin wrote:Firstly welcome to the Forum.
You will normally find some rust on the Discs especially if you have had a lot of wet weather, but this looks a little bit over the top. It looks like the QQ has been left out in a wet field or open for some time, also the insides of the Alloys look lined with the Rusty particles from the Discs. I would suggest with the photos having a word with your Dealer, was a PDC carried out and did you not notice this when picking up the QQ - Dave ;)
Ps would suggest cleaning the inside of the Alloys ASAP due to the Rust Deposits.

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Thinking about this, if you are concerned about the rust I would take the wheels off, brush off the rust as it appears to be light & apply some appropriate paint to the non braking areas, basically the rusty bits. Don't paint the mating faces where the hub touches the wheel, just apply a thin film of grease.

I have taken wheels of several of my new cars (Mini Coupe, Cooper S and Countryman, do u see a pattern emerging?) in the past that have rusted between the wheel and the hub, they can be be a nightmare get off. It would be a good opportunity to check if Nissan assembled the car well and made sure this little detail is accounted for. Anyone else had wheels stuck on with rust?
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

What's the latest on this? The rust on the hub looks excessive to me. I've not got that type of rust on mine and it is getting on for three years of age. The rear discs themselves are quite pitted due to corrosion and lack of regular use, but otherwise there's nothing noticeable.
Could it be that wheels have been cleaned using either a sulphuric or phosphoric acid wheel cleaning fluid and either not been diluted enough and/or left on for too long? Possibly not rinsed sufficiently after application?
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Well I think I need to take back my comment. I was at our Dealers yesterday and saw this on a "Second Hand" QQ - Dave :oops:

IMG_3554.JPG

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Looks shocking; makes you wonder if other makes of comparable vintage have same level of rust?
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Thrall

Post by Thrall »

It's not so much the vintage, but how long the car has stood undriven in a damp climate. I once bought a fairly new Grand Vitara that had been on the forecourt for six months. The first thing I did was put new discs and pads on it, the rust was so deep, there was no way the discs would have cleaned up, and being stationary so long, the lower part of the discs had received more rain and dribbles, which one felt through the pedal. Disc brakes must be used regularly.
2013 J10 SE 1.6 dCi 6speed manual, 4wd.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

All this is perfectly normal!! Its if you get scores, pitting or a blue tint to the discs you need to start to worry!

If it really bothers you having rust on the non--pad contacting areas, you can get high temperature paint to tart it up a bit. Although the last time I did that was on my older 'show' cars in my youth and only did it when I got new discs rather than painting over existing rust.

The picture of the one on the forecourt may look shocking, however its probably had a few buckets of water thrown over it whilst been stood still for a while.... a quick drive and use of the brakes should clear it off no time, whilst covering the nice shiny allows in iron oxide dust!!
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

oh, a for only been '3 weeks old'. It may only be 3 weeks old for you, however in reality the car could have been factory built many many months ago and have been sat around somewhere outside (which can be perfectly normal). If you are lucky, you may have got some extra paperwork with the car which may indicate its build date, or shipping date from Nissan factory.
AJW01

Post by AJW01 »

How did you get on at the dealer? I think Nissan have an issue with some disks. I have been told my rear disks QQ 2014 Tekna needed replacing after 2 years and 18,000 miles. The Dealer told me corrosion is not coveted under warranty but won't admit the material they used might be faulty. The front disks are like new. I would keep lots to photographic evidence and note every time you mention it to the dealer. It might also be best to put your complaint in writing so there is no dispute of who said what and when.
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

What about rust inside the front vented disc.s maybe should be looking at replacing disc when pads are due ..... rear pads tend to rust through lack of use ...note police cars rear are always clean...
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car