Wheel Corrosion

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Just noticed a small amount of corrosion on the right rear wheel near the rim of my QQ after its first wash in months. The car is 10 months old on the original 19 inch diamond cut wheels with 12k miles on the clock. Wheels have not been near a curb.

A good idea for us all take a good look at your wheels now the winter is coming to an end. If u find corrosion and have warranty, it may be time to make that claim. If your out of warranty, make sure you repair as soon as possible as the corrosion spreads fast on most alloy wheels, a stitch it time, and all that. I'm going to wait a couple of months & make a claim when I get the car serviced. It needs the radio software update also.

Its not the first time i have had corrosion on the wheels of a newish car. I had a Seat Altea 55 plate many moons ago & had all 4 wheel replaced under warranty due to corrosion.

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Not washing your QQ for months is owning without due care & attention!
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Deleted User 3871

You have lost me!

I don't read in the manual anywhere that the car needs to be washed to stop it corroding! I understand corrosion & the effects of salt, oils etc have on bodywork. But if a car is correctly manufactured, then the protective applications should be sufficient to stop corrosion. My QQ does not have corrosion anywhere else that I'm bothered about, withstanding the brake disks that instantly rust when the word "water" is shouted at them.

So, if the rest of the car is fine, im quite sure the wheels should be of a quality that after 2 months without a splash of soap and water, they should maintain there integrity and not try to revert back to the original oxides they were made from.

Or am I wrong? This is the part where detailers get into a lather & want to polish me off :)
Gel wrote:Not washing your QQ for months is owning without due care & attention!
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Good luck with that warranty claim Daewar.
Can you post a decent photo of your corroded wheel/wheels.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Daewar, I tend to agree with the comment from Gel. You tend to fork out in life for the Wife, House and Car and that is Big money and maintaining their value and condition is also to me important. OK you are most likely correct it is not stated in the Manual regarding the cleaning but it is all part of owning a car. I tend to wash our QQ every couple of weeks especially in the winter, but here Salt is not applied to the roads and we have Winter Steelies for that period of time 6 months. I was looking around specifically for Winter Alloys and there appears to be differences to the STD Alloys.
Brake Dust is one of the Killers for Alloys but cleaning internally is also a Pain.
You most probably remember the Post on "AlloyGators" and the "White Worm" effect, this just indicates how touchy these Alloys are.
You can only put your facts together and contact your Dealer & or NCS, so best of luck but whether it is a Guarantee item is a big question - give it a try Dave ;)

I found this attachment which makes interesting reading :

https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/blog/20 ... -corrosion
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Paul L

Post by Paul L »

we know that salt corrodes our wheels.
why wouldn't you clean the salt and muck from the wheels for two months?
I think the dealer will question as to whether you have taken care of the wheels depending on the type and extent of the corrosion.

OK, some of us are more fussy than others about the appearance of our cars.
after all, a car is a big investment, and the bodywork and wheels etc need to be protected from the elements and kept clean in order to fend off such corrosion and general deterIation

yes, I am one of those who is fussy about the appearance of my cars.
they are polished and waxed at least four times a year. this includes the wheels too.

good luck at the dealers.
2015 Acenta 1.5 DCI. Smart Vision Pack. Nightshade
Bonnet struts
Must get those mud flaps fitted !
Deleted User 3871

Here is the corrosion.

20170314_171910.jpg

So, just to bang the drum a bit more.

What some of you guys are saying, is that as I have not washed my 9 months old car for a consecutive two months its my fault the wheel has corroded and Nissan should not replace it under their own warranty or any other fit for purpose English or European legislation? Even though the car has had no abuse & is carefully treated apart from lack of washing, mostly due to the shitty weather and partially when it has been nice having something better to do with my life?

To be honest, if the wheels were 3 - 5 years old I would probably agree that more frequent some washing & polishing would be a good thing to protect them for the years that lay ahead. 9 month old wheels, 12k miles on the clock should not be corroding on a car that only drives on tarmac. Don't forget boys and girls, that wet stuff that falls from the sky is after all mostly water that u wash your car with.
gvmdaddy wrote:Good luck with that warranty claim Daewar.
Paul L

Post by Paul L »

Daewar wrote:Here is the corrosion.
20170314_171910.jpg
So, just to bang the drum a bit more.

What some of you guys are saying, is that as I have not washed my 9 months old car for a consecutive two months its my fault the wheel has corroded and Nissan should not replace it under their own warranty or any other fit for purpose English or European legislation? Even though the car has had no abuse & is carefully treated apart from lack of washing, mostly due to the shitty weather and partially when it has been nice having something better to do with my life?

To be honest, if the wheels were 3 - 5 years old I would probably agree that more frequent some washing & polishing would be a good thing to protect them for the years that lay ahead. 9 month old wheels, 12k miles on the clock should not be corroding on a car that only drives on tarmac. Don't forget boys and girls, that wet stuff that falls from the sky is after all mostly water that u wash your car with.
gvmdaddy wrote:Good luck with that warranty claim Daewar.
I believe you've hit the nail on the head.
not cleaning salt and winter road grime from your wheels is most likely the cause of the corrosion.
not washing general dirt from the wheels in the summer months is very different from not doing so in the winter season.

has anyone else got corrosion on their Tekna wheels?

best you don't tell the dealer that you haven't cleaned the wheels for most of the winter period . . . . .
Bonnet struts
Deleted User 3871

Hi Paul

For a quiet life I think you are 100% right, but I'm bloody minded sometimes, this can be to my detriment. It will all depend on how many idiots I meet when I take the car for its service that will probably determine how I approach the corrosion issue.

1. On one hand I'm going to tell the garage about the lack of washing & hey, look what I found, so I can tell them fo F**ck off and fix my car when its under warranty, how I paid part of the car with my credit card for protection and here is my solicitors details, you will hear from them soon. There is nothing in the car maintenance schedule to clean the wheels. blah blah blah. I wonder if I would get away with driving the car through the shop front & blaming it on a dodgy throttle :shock:

2 Or I have a nice drive to the garage, no one drives like a tit in front of me,I tell them how much i love the car & i wash it once a week, polish each month & hey, look what I just found.

I'm hoping for option 2, because usually a really a nice guy, help old ladies cross the street ( even if they don't want help and are going the other way :) and I want to live a little longer by staying stress free.

Paul L wrote:
best you don't tell the dealer that you haven't cleaned the wheels for most of the winter period . . . . .
Paul L

Post by Paul L »

that's just too funny!

I think option two may be impossible. . . . too many Honda Jazz drivers on the road !
Bonnet struts