Buy Spare wheel or stick with repair kit

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Leicesterman

Post by Leicesterman »

I bought a spare wheel but one disadvantage is that you cannot lower the boot floor
1 March 2017 brand new Tekna, 1.2 xtronic, 17" rims with space saver spare wheel. To avoid the £299 protection pack offered by dealer I spent £120 on after market mats, door sills and boot protector. Autoglym high def waxed by myself.

beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

Leicesterman wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 9:04 pm I bought a spare wheel but one disadvantage is that you cannot lower the boot floor
is that with a space saver?
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Leicesterman, when you purchase a Big Lump of Rubber & Steel naturally you lose space when you try to fit it into a space designed initially for a Holder, Compressor, Tools and Gunk. Never the less I believe this Area was designed initially for a Spare Wheel due to its shape, I could be wrong (cost / weight saving to omit one). You do lose space but the decision is yours we personally feel the space is adequate but obviously it depends on your personal needs. I believe that on the QQ AWD Version there is even less space available - Dave :)

Beetroot42, If you are interested please take a look at this old post there are some pics there :

http://qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... pare+Wheel
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Leicesterman

Post by Leicesterman »

Indeed. But I was not aware that I wouldn't be able to lower the boot panels into their lowest position. Nissan don't seem to make that clear. Mine is a Nissan fitted space saving wheel.
1 March 2017 brand new Tekna, 1.2 xtronic, 17" rims with space saver spare wheel. To avoid the £299 protection pack offered by dealer I spent £120 on after market mats, door sills and boot protector. Autoglym high def waxed by myself.
MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Leicesterman wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:46 am Indeed. But I was not aware that I wouldn't be able to lower the boot panels into their lowest position. Nissan don't seem to make that clear. Mine is a Nissan fitted space saving wheel.
But surely that "space" is already full of the foam filler that holds the gunk and compressor, etc.
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
andrewgr
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andrewgr »

When I bought my Qashqai, I bought an emergency spare wheel kit from the Nissan dealer - only to be upset when I realised how much cheaper I could have got it online. I then realised that the emergency spare wheel could only be used for a short distance, at no more than 50mph, and could not be used for towing (which I do). The idea of being stranded with a trailer unable to continue a journey didn't appeal so I bought an 'as new' second hand alloy, and a TPMS valve on eBay and a new tyre. I then sold the gunk kit and compressor and the emergency spare wheel on eBay which went some way to covering the cost. When I needed to replace both the front tyres, the better of the old ones one went as the spare so, effectively, the 'proper' spare didn't cost anything for the tyre. The downside is that the proper spare takes up so much of the tyre well that the boot floorboards don't fit and I've lost the extra boot space. However, for me, this is rarely a problem.
Nissan Qashqai N-Tec+ First Registered December 2014
redcar

Post by redcar »

I have an incomplete tyre repair kit in a 2014 Qashqai tekna, does anyone have a list of contents or a picture of a complete one so I can see what I'm missing ?

Thanks in advance
Gel

Post by Gel »

Redcar, don't ever use. Consists of tyre inflator kit that plugs in cigarette socket & container of gunk.
Tyre dealers can't repair gunk filled tyres, and the gunk screws the expensive TPMS valve too.
Call out Nissan Breakdown Service (RAC); you have this whilst under Guarantee,
and it's extended for free each year, when you have serviced at a Nissan dealership :)
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Geordieman
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Geordieman »

I wouldn't drive a car that didn't have a spare wheel onboard. I didn't use it on my last car over the two years but as far as I'm concerned it gives me peace of mind. My new QQ is 2 months old and I got a spare from the Nissan dealer after phoning other Nissan dealerships for the price which varied by as much as £70. The dealer matched the lowest price which was I think £215. I had to ask for the compressor kit at car pick-up as the mechanic had 'forgotten' to put it all in the boot.
2020 Tekna 1.3 DCT Auto, Pearl Black, Pan Roof, Heated Screen, ss door sills, Chrome door handle covers, ss Reg Plate frames, Gas Bonnet struts, chrome wheel nut covers, black side protection strips.
Sandgrounder
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Sandgrounder »

I also make sure I have a spare wheel onboard, in addition to the tyre sealant kit.

Most sealant kits have expiry dates. The sealant in my current QQ expires in 2022. My other QQ’s sealant expired 2019 - must be a 5 year lifespan? When I had a Honda Civic, that had a 3 year shelf life.

Strangely, Nissan are still supplying Continental sealant kits in the J11B QQ, even though Michelin tyres are now fitted! 🤔
Now: 1.3 Tekna DIG-T 158 MHEV J12 ~ LED Front Fog Lights ~ Ceramic Grey with Pearl Black Roof/Grey Interior
Before: 1.2 N-Connecta DIG-T 115 J11B ~ Heat Pack ~ LED Pack ~ Vivid Blue (Sep 17-Oct 21)
Previously: 1.2 N-Tec DIG-T 115 J11A ~ Blade Silver (Nov 14-Sep 17)