Buy Spare wheel or stick with repair kit

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

My 2016 1.5dci (2016 plate) is ready to collect next week (18" alloys, n-connecta). It comes with the glue kit and compressor.
I am wondering is it worth buying an emergency spare wheel kit? If so how do I know which one to buy (size etc from ebay) or stick with the glue and compressor kit?

I have a 3 year alloy and tyre cover included in my deal (dealer tells me its to £250 per claim limit, but will know when he issues me with the paper work).

What do you all do?

cheers
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine

Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Ask yourself when did you last have puncture?
Never use the useless kit provided as it will make a repairable tyre unrepairable & also cause
you to have to buy new TPMS valve for same reason; these alone are £40 quidish.
With Nissan RAC cover they'll come out & fix puncture temporarily or fit/loan you a spare
universal wheel till you can get to a tyre depot.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

Gel wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:49 pm Ask yourself when did you last have puncture?
Never use the useless kit provided as it will make a repairable tyre unrepairable & also cause
you to have to buy new TPMS valve for same reason; these alone are £40 quidish.
With Nissan RAC cover they'll come out & fix puncture temporarily or fit/loan you a spare
universal wheel till you can get to a tyre depot.
Thanks for the reply. In my current car I bought the spare wheel, never used it in over 3 years, When I had a puncture, manage to take to get repaired same day before it was too flat. Such a shame if a glue kit ruins a good tyre!

Ah dealer never told me I need to buy a new TPMS valve - he said its part of the new tyre valve!
I see did not realise Nissan RAC can fix a puncture at the roadside - would they not use glue kit?
Gel

Post by Gel »

RAC insert a rubber bung into hole, as long as its not on sidewall. See video.
Repair gunk is made by Continental Tyres, who er may have a vested interest in selling new tyre! :x

2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
Paul L

Post by Paul L »

I got a puncture on the offside rear in my last car.
It happened while on the M25 at 4pm on a Saturday.
I quickly became obvious that it couldn't be repaired.
So there we were stuck 130 miles from home. No roadside cover, no spare wheel.
If it wasn't for the fact that my brother who owned a 3 series of the same model as mine who lived nearby and had a spare wheel we would have been stranded.

The first thing I did when I got the Qashqai was to source a spare wheel kit.
Being stranded without means of completing a journey is not something I want to experience again.

Take a look in the for sale section, you might get lucky like I did.
2015 Acenta 1.5 DCI. Smart Vision Pack. Nightshade
Bonnet struts
Must get those mud flaps fitted !
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Here are all the facts on the Spare Wheel Kit and it does not include a TPMS Valve. It needs checking but I believe this Kit is classed as an "Emergency Kit" and does not need a TPMS Valve as it is basically a "Get you Home Kit" and should not be continuously used. The comments on how often a puncture happens are relevant but then S _ _ _ does happen and IMHO one is worth having - Dave ;)

IMG_2004.PNG

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Hi

Probably a bit late for you now, but I hate those emergency spare wheel kits. When I purchased my Qashqai last year, as part of the deal I asked for a spare wheel and all the gubbins to be included to which the dealer agreed. I like to rotate my tyres after a certain mileage and without a spare wheel you are stuffed.

Like Paul I had a puncture some years back on a Zafira that I owned at the time, it only had an emergency inflation kit, but the tyre was beyond that. I was some miles from home and it was Boxing Day, so had to find the only tyre place open that day, which happened to be a Kwik fit who ripped me off something rotten for a new tyre. If I had of had a spare wheel, I could have changed the wheel, driven home, and got a new tyre a day or so later at a tyre dealer at a much cheaper cost than Kwik fit. I vowed after that never to buy a new car again without a spare wheel.

My opinion, get a spare wheel!

Cheers
Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

My last new car I had a spare wheel as part of my deal. I bought my QQ used, it came with a guk kit. Don't the RAC help if you have a puncture?
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

beetroot42, I think Gel and yourself have already answered your new question if you read above dated April 22nd - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
QQ17

Post by QQ17 »

When I bought my new QQ I bought a complete genuine Qashqai spare wheel kit (including fitted tyre, tools, foam spacers, etc) from this guy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-NISSA ... SwqYBWoNzk on Bay for £164.99.

And to help pay for it, then flogged my sealant and compressor repair kit on eBay for £21.
2016 Magnetic Red Qashqai Tekna 1.2 DIG-T