"normal" brake noise?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

I've just been to the rubbish tip, and the exit ramp is a steep downwards slope with a concrete wall about a foot either side of the car. My windows were open and I was surprised how noisy the brakes were, with the noise being reflected back at me. Not a bad noise, just a low rubbing.

On an open road, completely silent, even when my passenger leaned out of the window to see if he could hear the noise on a quiet stretch - nothing.

So - should I be concerned, or do brakes make noises under normal circumstances that you never hear unless you are in a concrete tube like I was!
I can't see how two surfaces rubbing together at speed could ever be completely silent, surely some noise has to be produced.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T

Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

There will be some noise, but it also depends on the condition of the pads and discs themselves.

If they are well worn, then they can be a little noisy, or if there is surface rust on they can be very noisy until they have been used with a bit of anger.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

As SplanK says. I don't think u have anything to worry about. I take it the brakes visually look fine?
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Daewar wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:07 am As SplanK says. I don't think u have anything to worry about. I take it the brakes visually look fine?
Bit of rust, but I can see the pads are of a decent thickness.
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

It will be the rust causing the noise most probably. If you are getting patches of rust that never come off then it may be time for new discs & pads. Do you have a picture?
chrisw99 wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:10 am
Daewar wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 11:07 am As SplanK says. I don't think u have anything to worry about. I take it the brakes visually look fine?
Bit of rust, but I can see the pads are of a decent thickness.