Tyre choice

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Final one from me on this. If you're driving at a speed and manner that results in the back end sliding out in any condition then you are driving either too fast or too aggressively. With that in mind I'll stick to keeping the better grip on the front where it is needed all the time, not just when cornering.

Karl-LG
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by Karl-LG »

Hound wrote:
Daewar wrote:This is news to me after diving for 33 years.
I couldn't find a pic of a Qashqai underwater, so here's a Juke. ;)
juke underwater.jpg
[emoji4]

Skickat från min SM-T705 via Tapatalk

jet

Post by jet »

Quacker, you cannot disobey laws of physics though. Let's assume that ESP, EBD, ATC, and the rest of the electronic aids on your QQ take care of the rear and keep the car in a stright line. What happens with resistance to aquaplaning and braking distance in wet conditions, with worn tires on the front axle? No electronic system can avoid aquaplaning or compensate for the longer braking distance.

Neither can I agree that understeer is 'safer' than oversteer. Taking in consideration the well known definition of oversteer (when the co-driver is scared) and understeer (when the driver is scared), and some previous personal experience, I would rather prefer to have oversteer (when you can indeed counteract) than understeer (when you just sit and wait, like a passenger).

Adding to the equation 2WD Qashqai's strong tendency to undesteer, I would always have fresher tyres at the front on mine.

Here is another interesting reading about tyres, that will also throw some controversy ;-)

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet-i ... s-michelin
1.5 dCi MT Premium
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I would 100% disagree here. Understeer is very predictable, the front end just washes out and mostly can be solved by reducing speed. Oversteer is unpredictable, even if u back off speed with a powerful motor, you can still lock up the rear & can point in just about any direction.
jet wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:44 pm Neither can I agree that understeer is 'safer' than oversteer. Taking in consideration the well known definition of oversteer (when the co-driver is scared) and understeer (when the driver is scared), and some previous personal experience, I would rather prefer to have oversteer (when you can indeed counteract) than understeer (when you just sit and wait, like a passenger).
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

This i do agree with.
gvmdaddy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:19 am Final one from me on this. If you're driving at a speed and manner that results in the back end sliding out in any condition then you are driving either too fast or too aggressively. With that in mind I'll stick to keeping the better grip on the front where it is needed all the time, not just when cornering.
Deleted User 759

Post by Deleted User 759 »

I am going to bring this topic to a close before it goes too far off the rails.

It has gone mostly off topic from the original question, and both topics (what tyre, and how to fit) have been discussed at length in the past. Everybody seems to get very heated when it comes to the subject of tyres, and in reality, nobody ever wins, people will go with their own gut instinct over tyre selection and rotation anyway!

Thanks