Tyre choice

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

I get the 'drift' or rather I don't. Ive never suffered from a loose back end due to lack of grip, so ill stick to what ive employed for over 30 years. No doubt in my mind at all. If I drove like a boy racer or had a performance car then I can sort of see a little logic in keeping the sticky boots on the rear. As it is im neither young anymore or rich enough for a sports car.

Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

What is wrong with doing things properly? Is it obstinately or plain stick-in-the-mud stupidity? One day, possibly through no fault of your own, you might need to make an emergency manoeuvre and while your car is spinning uncontrollably to its and somebody else's doom, you'll think "why didn't I listen to all that advise?" "Why was I so obstinate?" "Why did I think I knew best and more than all those experts?"
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Not obstinate or stupid, and I find those remarks a little offensive.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Like I said earlier, there is a lot more weight in the front of the car. So if anything is going to let go, its going to be the front wheels.
Quacker wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:11 am What is wrong with doing things properly? Is it obstinately or plain stick-in-the-mud stupidity? One day, possibly through no fault of your own, you might need to make an emergency manoeuvre and while your car is spinning uncontrollably to its and somebody else's doom, you'll think "why didn't I listen to all that advise?" "Why was I so obstinate?" "Why did I think I knew best and more than all those experts?"
Deleted User 1571

Daewar wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:40 am Like I said earlier, there is a lot more weight in the front of the car. So if anything is going to let go, its going to be the front wheels.

You know best, no doubt. All those tyre professionals have got it all wrong. :twisted:
Deleted User 1571

gvmdaddy wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:32 am Not obstinate or stupid, and I find those remarks a little offensive.
I find it offensive when people ignore all the evidence and advice and spreads bullpoo. So that's two of us offended.

If you don't understand the reasoning, despite reading all the information I pointed you towards [you have read it I hope?], then say so. Don't try and say that they are all wrong and you are the expert, because I doubt very much indeed whether you have a clue about this. You are certainly reluctant to learn.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Quacker,

If you have a rear wheel drive car then I would say you are correct, there is much more chance for the back end to let go, especially in slippery conditions. On a front wheel drive car like most QQs, then its nearly always going to be the front that lets go first. Maybe this is where the confusion lays.
gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

Out of order Quacker! Not surprised though given your previous history over the lifetime of this forum, making argumentative posts and not being able to accept that sometimes you can be right, and sometimes be wrong, and even sometimes there is no right and wrong!
I never said that I was right on this issue, just that ive never had any problems regarding it, and certainly never encountered a tyre sales chain that either refused or advised against following the practice that I followed.
I can't deny that Costco do actually refuse to put new tyres on the front without doing so on the rear, but the other companies mentioned only offer this info as an advisory. This 'advice' only appears to have come to light as of late. I honestly have never encountered any tyre sales chains that either refuse, or even mention this as an issue! Im sure im not alone. Ill go my way, you go yours, and everyone else can make their own minds up either from reading what the 'experts say' or from using personal experience over decades of real life motoring.
Deleted User 1571

Fact is though that I am not wrong and I very quickly provided you with some links proving this to be the case.
Why you just cannot accept this as fact is beyond my comprehension. Even though you did not know it before, you do now and cannot possibly legitimately deny it while retaining some creditability, yet you persist in doing so.

Your decades of real life motoring mean diddly squat when you have demonstrated a complete reluctance to learn.
Last edited by Deleted User 1571 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1571

Daewar wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:42 pm Quacker,

If you have a rear wheel drive car then I would say you are correct, there is much more chance for the back end to let go, especially in slippery conditions. On a front wheel drive car like most QQs, then its nearly always going to be the front that lets go first. Maybe this is where the confusion lays.
There is no confusion. Not on my part and none on the tyre and safety expert's part either, and it makes no difference whether the cars are front or rear wheel drive, or indeed all wheel drive. All this should be explained in the aggregate of those links I provided but which at least one person chooses to deny for reasons only those that know him can fathom.
Have a look at a good few of those crash dash cam videos on Youtube. You will notice that it is almost always the rear end that violently gives way in the wet resulting in the cars losing control. It is almost never the front end and the front end understeer and slide is far more predictable and avoidable.

We all know that tread depth has no significant influence on grip in dry conditions of course. It is only in challenging wet conditions and in emergency situations that we may get into, whether our own fault or of other's, that this matters.
Just as with seatbelts and their pretensions, and airbags and ABS brakes with stability control, you may only ever need to rely on the system or tyre performance once in your life to save your, your relative's or friend's or a pedestrian's life. But in the aggregate of millions of cars on the roads, getting these things working in the driver's favour makes a vast difference to outcomes.