Tyre choice

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

My local IAM group recommend the tyres with most grip should go on the rear axle, So if you are changing the front, I would swap with the rear ones, and get news one fitted to rear. You will need to get the TMP reset which I am not sure how it is done.
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

beetroot42 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:19 pm My local IAM group recommend the tyres with most grip should go on the rear axle, So if you are changing the front, I would swap with the rear ones, and get news one fitted to rear. You will need to get the TMP reset which I am not sure how it is done.
Surely it depends on whether it's front or rear wheel drive?
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I swapped my fronts with the rears. The TPS system showed the tyre pressure incorrect for about 15 mins. I remember stopping & then starting off again, I also ran the calibration setting. Now the tyres pressures are showing correct positions. The TPS system will automatically identify the correct positions after a little time.
beetroot42 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:19 pm My local IAM group recommend the tyres with most grip should go on the rear axle, So if you are changing the front, I would swap with the rear ones, and get news one fitted to rear. You will need to get the TMP reset which I am not sure how it is done.
RVW

Post by RVW »

gvmdaddy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:21 pm
beetroot42 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:19 pm My local IAM group recommend the tyres with most grip should go on the rear axle, So if you are changing the front, I would swap with the rear ones, and get news one fitted to rear.
Surely it depends on whether it's front or rear wheel drive?
No it does not matter front or rear wheel drive. The accepted practice is always put new tyres on the rear.
Reason- with more grip on the rear there is less chance of of rear wheel skid/slide.
It is easier to react to under/oversteer than having your rear end trying to become your front end.
J11-2016 QashQai Tekna 1.5dci Magnetic Red
beetroot42

Post by beetroot42 »

[/quote]

No it does not matter front or rear wheel drive. The accepted practice is always put new tyres on the rear.
Reason- with more grip on the rear there is less chance of of rear wheel skid/slide.
It is easier to react to under/oversteer than having your rear end trying to become your front end.
[/quote]

Exactly with regards to rear wheel slide/skid, my local IAM group issued an article about the reasons behind this. Good to hear that TPM automatically updates if wheels switched around.
I own a used 1.5 DCI N-connecta 2016 machine
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

The theory sounds very good and I have to agree with it in the most part, although due to the weight of the engine at the front of the car, you will just about always get under steer in a fwd car if you exceed your driving ability.

But better still is to wear out a full set of tyres & replace them with a new full set. This requires tyre rotation during the life of the tyres, even with 4x4 drive like my QQ, the fronts are wearing just a little faster than the rears & also due to cornering the tyre wears the front tyre outside edges.

Tyre rotation make sure that all your tyres are the same age and have suffered the same environmental damage (UV light etc). The performance will be the same for the front or back, and will be predictable.
RVW wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:34 am No it does not matter front or rear wheel drive. The accepted practice is always put new tyres on the rear.
RVW

Post by RVW »

Daewar wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:29 pm The theory sounds very good and I have to agree with it in the most part, although due to the weight of the engine at the front of the car, you will just about always get under steer in a fwd car if you exceed your driving ability.

But better still is to wear out a full set of tyres & replace them with a new full set. This requires tyre rotation during the life of the tyres, even with 4x4 drive like my QQ, the fronts are wearing just a little faster than the rears & also due to cornering the tyre wears the front tyre outside edges.

Tyre rotation make sure that all your tyres are the same age and have suffered the same environmental damage (UV light etc). The performance will be the same for the front or back, and will be predictable.
RVW wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:34 am No it does not matter front or rear wheel drive. The accepted practice is always put new tyres on the rear.
I hear what you say, but most people attempt to spread the cost of tyre changes to a minimum. Cost of premium tyres at £150/200 each ( yes I know you can get cheaper tyres you pays your money and takes your choice) so to change two tyres would be approx £300+ or all four £600+.
Then you come to the problem with rotating tyres, do you change back to front or corner to corner? Then if you have directional tyres do you take them off the rims and swap them around if going from corner to corner?
I personally go for new on the back and put the back ones on the front.
Just had 4 new Michelin sport fitted to my mini clubman at a cost of nearly £800😳
Deleted User 1571

Post by Deleted User 1571 »

I've replaced two of mine with Michelin. It is always my favourite, but they are never cheap.
Not a fan of Continental or cheap Korean/Chinese/Indian cheap brands. They tend to be awful skittish in the wet and not even brilliant in the dry. I've had some dreadfully noisy ones too. Generally they do last long, probably due to very hard rubber compound that also causes the lack of grip.

Seeing as they do last quite well on most cars, I don't tend to skimp these days, biting the bullet and mostly buying premium brands. You generally get what you pay for in one way or another.
RVW

Post by RVW »

gvmdaddy

Post by gvmdaddy »

RVW wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:35 pm This is worth a read

http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/upload ... mation.pdf
Surely this document contradicts itself. First they say its best to have the deeper tread on the back axle, then they go on to say that rotating the fronts with the back is acceptanle and good practice!
Over 30 years of driving and ive always been told the new tyres go on the drive axle. Served me right all these years.
If you're losing the back end on corners, you're eityer driving too fast for the conditions, you could do with rotating front to back, or indeed you need new tyres either on the back or all round.