Tekna Wheels - "White Worms"

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
peter212693

Post by peter212693 »

Hi all,

My car is now 15 months old and when cleaning it myself this weekend I noticed some "white worming" on 3 of the wheels. I normally get it washed by the hand car wash guys so havent really noticed but it seems to be from stone chips on the wheels as you can see a slight dint at the heart of each worm.

This is the worst one on the passenger rear:

Another example on the drivers rear:

In total there is:

Passenger Rear - 3 instances
Drivers Rear - 3 Instances
Passenger Front - 1 small instance
Driver Front - clear.

Im going to contact Nissan as the car is only 15 months old but what do you think my chances of these being replaced under warrenty or them trying to blame me for this / the stone chips.

Cheers

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Peter, at least you have documentation of these defects which you could also send to NCS. I believe some members have had Wheels replaced for this problem under Guarante. You need to keep a check on small chips also, I normally just put a touch of Clear Lacquer on them from my "Touch Up" Kit.
When you mention the "Hand Wash Guys" do. you mean the Supermarket Guys as I think I have read here that they do not use Quality Products, possibly a wheel cleaner solution was too aggressive for the Alloys - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
peter212693

Post by peter212693 »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

The car was guys are a local independant car wash place, used them for years and would go no where near the likes tesco or such haha.

I will conact them and see what they say. One concern is when my PCP is up I will probably trade it back for a newer one and dont want them to kick up a fuss during the inspection before it goes back.
AJW01

Post by AJW01 »

Alloy wheels will corrode and oxidise because of what they are made of, this is why they are painted and lacqured. On the Teckna they are what is called "diamond cut" which gives them their "shinny" apperance. The symptoms you are seeing is the result of minor damage to the lacquer and then a natuaral oxidisation where the alloy is exposed to the elements. It is unlikely you will get these replaced under warranty as minor stone chips or the lightest touch on the kerb are the likely cause. Once they get bad enough to look unsightly your local Alloy Wheel refurbisher should be able to skim off the damage and oxidization and re-laquer them for you. I had a Kia Sportage KX3 before my Techna and it suffered the same problem but the corrosion started at the central hub (where the plastic badge fits) and not at the edges. As this could only be a defective finish (poor lacquer on the diamon cut) i beleive Kia did replace some under their 7 year warranty. I returned my Kia at the end of its 3 year lease without having it seen to.
peter212693

Post by peter212693 »

It must be stone chips as I stay away from curbs.

I did a bit of googling and found its quite common on the diamond cut alloys and can be quite expensive to have them "re-cut", around £150 per wheel around my way. On a couple of them you can see small black dots at the center where the impact must have been.

I will contact Nissan and see if I can get anyway but its more hope than anything.
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Peter, this might give you some ideas - Black is Beautiful ! - Dave ;)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3937&p=37292&hilit ... eel#p37292
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

I had my 2 front wheels replaced due to worming & under guarantee~ just under 4 years old.
Keeping close eye on rears as if they go I'd ask dealer to put in goodwill claim for those too.
That's about average cost for skimming- it can only be done once to a wheel apparently;
you can often see brand new Tekna wheels for similar cost on E Bay.
Last edited by Gel on Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
peter212693

Post by peter212693 »

Thanks guys, if I got these colour changed not sure how this would go down when the car has to go back haha
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

Like Gel, but only had 1 rear wheel corroded. Photos were taken and sent to Nissan, 2 weeks later I was asked to book an apointment to come in & get it replaced. Image
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

if I got these colour changed not sure how this would go down
Peter, would they notice?
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D