TPMS Change costs

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

Came across this; sounds a tad expensive per corner !

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tpms/searchresu ... TrimId=644
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D

paplane

Post by paplane »

I'd keep your eye on Ebay for a used set.

I bought 4 about 18 months ago for £100. They were OEM - I just bolted them on, drove away and they activated themselves and synced with the car.

Seems to me this is a technology that is being used by tyre fitters to make easy money.
Gel
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Gel »

So you had the kit to remove the tyres then presumably?
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
brianthelian

Post by brianthelian »

As they are supposed to last a mínimum of 10 years to 12 years and arnt disturbed with a tyre change and a j11 2013sensor may fail at 2023 , why change them now ?????????? brianthelian
brian
paplane

Post by paplane »

No, sorry my post wasn't clear.

I purchased a new 2nd set of alloys and wanted to keep the 1st set (and the tyres fitted to them) as a back-up. That meant that I had to not only buy 4 new tyres for the new alloys but 4 new tpms sensors too. The new wheels were 2nd hand but didn't have sensors on them. I didn't realise that the sensors were going to be so expensive when I bought the alloys!

So, I bought a used set of 4 on EBay for £100 and bolted them to the alloys before the tyres were fitted. I had the new tyres put on and prayed as I drove away that the sensors would work. To my relief they did (immediately), and have done flawlessly since.

They were genuine Nissan parts so communication to the car was not an issue. It seems to me that tyre fitters want to sell you expensive generic type sensors and then charge you for programming them to the car too. In my opinion that'll be big business in 7 or 8 years for the tyre fitting industry when these sensors start to fail. They're mandatory on all new cars now and it's an MOT fail if they don't work when tested. I can imagine there's a fortune to be made.
Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I recently rotated the front / back wheels of my QQ.

I was just chatting to the service desk guy a week or 2 before whilst my car was in for a service & told him my intention to rotate the wheels. He told me I needed the TPS sensors to be recalibrated and it required special equipment. I had previously seen posts that said this was not necessary but i kept quiet as I was not 100% sure this would work on my car.

When the wheels were swapped my QQ took a few miles to identify the swap, but it did so all on its own, so either some garage personnel are talking S**t or just lying to make you pay for something you don’t need.

Its almost like the recent rip off with charging tyres with Nitrogen.
chrisw99

Post by chrisw99 »

Daewar wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:21 am I recently rotated the front / back wheels of my QQ.

I was just chatting to the service desk guy a week or 2 before whilst my car was in for a service & told him my intention to rotate the wheels. He told me I needed the TPS sensors to be recalibrated and it required special equipment. I had previously seen posts that said this was not necessary but i kept quiet as I was not 100% sure this would work on my car.

When the wheels were swapped my QQ took a few miles to identify the swap, but it did so all on its own, so either some garage personnel are talking S**t or just lying to make you pay for something you don’t need.

Its almost like the recent rip off with charging tyres with Nitrogen.
There's a calibrate option in the system settings menu, not sure what it does though or when you are supposed to use it. The manual mentions it but doesn't make it very clear
Oct 2014 N-tec+, 1.2 dig-T
scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc »

recalibrating is done from drivers seat and settings via steering wheel but i admit it took me 2 goes to find it
2016 1.6 xtronic tekna diesel 130 bhp
1998 4.6 v8 Range Rover petrol auto 225 bhp
2019 Skoda Citigo 1.0 sel green tech 5 dr 75 bhp
2009 Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol sport 2 door 138bhp
CJS

Post by CJS »

I thought this was going to be a problem since I have to swap to winter tyres (legal requirement here) each year but calibration was dead simple as has been mentioned. The system seems to work well. Incidentally I should take a moment to sing the praises of winter tyres which perform so well in adverse weather conditions.
Qashqai J11 1.6D Tekna automatic

Post by alter »

If you swap the tyres and get the fault tyre message on the dash, just follow the manual describing an alternate identification/calibration procedure which as simple as turning on the start switch (but not the motor) and leave it like that for ca. 10-15mins. After almost getting nuts, trying the manual calibration several times, driving around etc, my wife just made the lamp dissappear while waiting in the car with the switch on, listening to the radio.
Qashqai Tekna 1.6 4x4 gunmetal