7jx17 ET47

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Jockj
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Jockj »

Good day to you all.
Is anyone running 7jx17 ET47 Rims on their Qashqai?
Currently I'm running standard 7jx17 ET40 .
I'm thinking about the 7jx17 ET47 as a spare set of alloys and was curious to know if anyone was running them to find out about how they sat on the car. ie, if there's any rubbing etc. I know it's only 7mm a difference to the centre of the wheel but 7mm could sometimes make a big difference.
Cheers
Keep smiling.

Jockj

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Jockj, I hope I have not killed your question, but I noticed there was not any replies and just wondered if it got a few of us thinking (difficult sometimes). I done a post a few years back and took a look at it again and thought I would add some Information as it might be helpful to understand the question, might not, I am sure you fully understand the Problem.
I cannot recall anybody raising this issue before but you might be lucky and as you mentioned 7mm (9/32") is not that much - Best of Luck hope the Information helps, it did me Dave :lol:

Wheel Marking for Example : 7 J x 17 (H2 5/114,3) ET40

"7" Inner width of wheel in inches (7 x 25.4mm= 177,8mm).
"J" Indicates the shape of the wheel on the place where the tyre bead sits on the wheel.
"X" Indicates that the construction of the wheel is one-piece.
"17" Nominal wheel diameter in inches (17 x 25.4mm= 431,8mm).
"H2" Type of wheels flange. Wheels flange is a bulge on the wheel in the place where the tyre bead lies on the wheel. It prevents the tyre from falling inside of the wheel.
"5/114,3" First number is the number of bolts (Nissan is 5). The number 114,3mm indicates the so-called PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) which is the diameter of an imaginary circle drawn through the center hole of the screws on which the wheel is mounted.
A 5-lug Nissan vehicle (including Infiniti and Datsun) will have a bolt pattern of 5 x 114.3. (5 lugs, 114.3mm apart).

img160.jpg

img160 - Kopie.jpg

ЕТ40 : ET is the offset, that is the distance between the centre line of the wheel and the plane of the hub-mounting surface of the wheel. The offset is measured in millimetres and can be positive or negative. In this case it is positive: 40 mm
Std Wheel is 40mm offset and the new is 47mm (+7mm)
Wheels are usually stamped with their offset using the German prefix "ET", meaning "Einpresstiefe" or, literally, "insertion depth". An example would be "ET40" for a 40mm offset.

What is Wheel Offset ?
The wheel offset of a vehicle's wheel is the distance between the centerline of the wheel and the plane of the hub-mounting surface of the wheel. It can thus be either positive or negative, and is typically measured in millimeters. Offset has a significant effect on many elements of a vehicle's suspension, including suspension geometry, clearance between the tire and suspension elements, the scrub radius of the steering system, and visually, the width of the wheel faces relative to the car's bodywork.

img161.jpg

Zero: The hub mounting surface is even with the center line of the rim.
Positive: The hub mounting surface is more towards the face and generally the style wheel used with FWD vehicles.
Negative: The hub mounting surface is toward the inside of the wheel’s center line.
A wheel with negative offset will look more concave (dished-in) or have a deeper outer lip.
A wheel with positive offset will appear more convex, or have the face of the wheel closer to the outer edge.

img161 - Kopie.jpg

When considering new wheels, offset can make or break a decision. Using a rim with less offset can cause the tire/rim to rub the outer fender and using a rim with more offset can cause the tire/rim to rub the inner fender or even suspension components. As an example, consider the image above.
In the example, the factory rim utilizes a +45mm offset (the hub is +45mm from the center of the wheel) and the rim is centered within the wheel well.
Should new rims with a +30mm offset be utilized (the hub is +30mm from the center of the wheel), the edge of the rim is shifted further outbound by 15mm and closer to the fender lip. In some situations, this could cause the tire to rub the fender lip and in extreme cases can cause damage to the tire or fender itself. When utilizing a lowered suspension, there may be a greater chance of this issue.
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken