Brake Pads

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Ger14

Post by Ger14 »

I am doing the rear pads for the MOT. I have got some Brembo replacements and I don't know what to do with the shims. They fit the inner side pad perfectly, but the external face pad has a lug so the shim wont fit.
Should I abandon the shims altogether or just leave them on the inner face?
I have just done the fronts and fitted the new pads with the shims. Now I am wondering if this is correct.
2012 Qashqai+2 1.6dci - 4 wheels and an engine, white, leather, bose, panorama roof, Germany

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Ger14, have you tried viewing the web or even YouTube as there are a lot facts around including comments on Brembo. Might be worth a try - Dave ;)
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

According to the manual, the front pads have both a shim and a shim cover for the inner and outer pads:

frontbrake.jpg

The rear pads have a shim and shim cover for the inner pads, but the outer pads have a shim with no cover.
The outer shim also appears to be somewhat different from the inner, with an embossing and a hole in it.

rearbrake.jpg

Maybe if you compare the pad and shim pics to the Brembos and originals, you'll see where the problem lies.
Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Hound, some more nice facts some of this stuff you are posting is very worthwhile, keep it up - Interesting Dave :D
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Ger14

Post by Ger14 »

If I had that outer shim I wouldn't have this problem. It would fit the new pad. Strange. The pads that are on are nissan branded.
2012 Qashqai+2 1.6dci - 4 wheels and an engine, white, leather, bose, panorama roof, Germany
Ger14

Post by Ger14 »

I have got so confused looking at brembo stuff on the web. Some pads have integrated shims, bit I don't see it on these. Also the inner pad has the lugs for the shim and cover. If it was integrated then why would I have them?
Hound
Qashqai Model: Still looking for one....

Post by Hound »

I found a picture of some QQ rear pads with shims, but they look more like the inner than the outer. Typically the other pads are face-up!

pads.jpg

Used to have 2015 1.6dCi 130 Xtronic N-tec+ in Gun Metallic