QQ J10 Warped rotors/discs - a waranty result

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

For a few weeks I'd been experiencing a severe judder on the steering wheel and pulsing on the brake pedal. It took a while to be convinced this wasn't just a result of the bad roads we have here, so eventually I got the local garage to test the brakes. They confirmed that the rotors/discs had become warped. Considering they were changed by a dealer just 10 months ago and at less than 10k miles, they reckoned I could claim under warranty.

Yesterday, I took the car to the main dealer who checked them and got an agreement from NIssan that they could be replaced under warranty and the job has been done. The new rotors/disc make me realise how bad the old ones had become.

Terry-j-1
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Terry-j-1 »

I have a 2017 quashai with 12000 on the clock but is doing the same thing. I've took it to the dealer who checked it and said the same thing. Warped disc on N/S/F and pitting of the disc ! What ever that is. They also continued telling me it was not covered under warranty. I refuse to believe that a car 12 month old with original tyres on could have warped brake disc and pitted pads !! I have spoken to Nissan and waiting for a reply.
Spuriousfish

Post by Spuriousfish »

If you search the internet you'll find a lot of stories similar to yours, where the dealers say its not covered under warranty. I was expecting the same reply but they agreed to a warranty claim with no fuss - they even changed the pads, which should be the case if the rotors are changed.

Read the T&Cs in the warranty to make sure they are telling the truth - although Truth is not the Truth, according to some :-)

It's one of those grey areas because it is conceivable that warping can be attributed to wear and tear. Excessive breaking, say at speed and downhill, where the brakes are on for along time, can cause overheating resulting in warping. But just how can they prove that this is what happened.

Pitted rotors/discs do occur but to varying degrees. Not sure about pitted pads though. My rotors/discs get corroded quickly because it sits outside all the time and in foul weather during the winter. But I wouldn't say they are pitted and they clean off after a few breaking events. My neighbour has an old X-Trail and his is the same but the local garage said they needed changing because they were 'pitted'. I'm guessing to a greater extent since we both use the same garage.

Keep up the pressure on Nissan - perhaps even try a different dealer.

FWIW: I'm currently having problems with the handbrake shoes on the near side rear. It sticks on after releasing the handbrake but then frees up. Probably due to the weather again and needs a clean. My friend with the X-trail has the same problem....a Nissan Feature maybe.

Good luck with your problem.
switchback

Post by switchback »

The front and rear discs corrode because they are made of crap steel. I've just had my 3 year service and was told that all 4 discs are pitted(@ 30,000 miles) but don't require changing yet. The rears were changed under warranty because of corrosion less than a year ago. Another reason why I'm abandoning Nissan and going back to Mazda.
2015 1.6 dci Tekna, AWD.