Mixing tyre brand/type

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
ABliss
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by ABliss »

Hi all,

I've been doing a fair amount of reading about tyres. On my QQ I've got 17" alloys currently with 215/60/17 continentals.

My front 2 need changed, my rear 2 are at 4/6 mm. I understand the contisports are summer tyres, but we're now coming into winter and was looking into getting some all season tyres. I read that mixing tyre types isn't recommended, but can't afford to splash out on all 4 shoes at once. Has anyone had a mix of brands and types before that could give me a realistic outcome on the driving experience?

I was planning on getting all weathers for the front this month, and then replacing the rears in January/February. Decided not to go for winter tyres as the difference between winter and summer tyres are too great, and might cause a greater issue with imbalance.

Or, I can stick with changing the front tyres to a different brand summer tyre and use them through winter.

I bought a Megane with the worst summer tyres I've seen, and went through a pretty harsh winter with little to no issues. But, the megane is a lighter car and with slightly narrow tyres (205/55/16). Also, the brands were different between the front and back.

Any experience related replies are welcome.

Edit: The all season tyre I'm looking at is the Michelin CrossClimate+, and the summer tyre is Bridgestone Turanza T005.

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Unfortunately Tyres are all part of running a car as is Regular Servicing and Yes costs are involved. I would not recommend mixing Tyres for Safety and just replace as required with the correct Tyres whether Summer / Winter / Allweather. Please take a look at this attached advice from Continental on your question just so you have more facts - I hope this helps you Dave 😉

http://www.continentaltire.com/news/mix ... s-question

https://www.continental-tires.com/car/t ... exikon-3-4
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
ABliss

Post by ABliss »

Hi Dave,

I've had a read of these pages and Michelin had a pretty good one too, thanks for the links. They strongly recommend (and I agree) that across an axle the same tyre must be used. If I was going to mix, my all season cross climate would go on the rear of the vehicle as they have no drive. My rears will go to the front (4-6 mm of tread left) until beginning of January when the other set will be purchased. I might just dig deep and get all 4, but Christmas and all that.
Gel

Post by Gel »

Dave, I think Continental's advice will be somewhat prejudiced as they want sales revenue for 4 tyres not 2!
2014-19 J11A-14 1.5dci Ink Blue Tekna owner; now departed for a Mazda CX-5 GT Sport Nav, 2.0L Petrol :D
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Gel, do you really think that Continental would try this game I know a lot of People are out to make a quick Buck or Two. Just take a read of other Manufacturers Bla Bla and it all seems to be a common Response. I am just advising not selling Tyres :o - Dave
At the end of the Day you are the Customer and you make the decision not Continental !

Improper usage:
Using summer tyres on snow and ice / Mixing tyre types / Using wheel and rim sizes that are not compatible / Fitting tyres that do not have a speed capability and load index at least equal to or higher than those originally specified by the vehicle manufacturer / Re-inflating a tyre that has been run flat or seriously under inflated / Using a spare tyre of a different size at speeds in excess of 50 mph

https://www.michelin.in/tips-and-advice ... -car-tyres

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Mixing%20Tires
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
ABliss

Post by ABliss »

Tirerack advise against mixing types majorly. But, if need be, put the better tyres on the rear.

I don't think town driving would be affected majorly with different types of tyres.

I'll get the full set in January anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Deleted User 3871

Post by Deleted User 3871 »

I think there are 2 thoughts with putting 2 tyres on a car, on the same axel, my 2 pennies worth. I'm mostly thinking bad weather, SNOW, ICE, RAIN and lots of it.

New on front, old on rear.

Pro. Very good traction and braking frontally, good traction, can pull the car straight if rear looses some grip.
Neg. Potential to loose rear stability. Over confidant driving.

Old on front, new on rear.
Pro. lateral stability under hard braking in a straight line.
Neg. Much poorer overall braking. Poor directional change, poor traction.

Roughly 70% of braking is put through the front wheels, 30% is on the rear. If your fwd, all traction/drive is through the front wheels as is steering. For me its a no brainer, put the new tyres on the front until you can get a full set.

ABliss wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:25 am Tirerack advise against mixing types majorly. But, if need be, put the better tyres on the rear.

I don't think town driving would be affected majorly with different types of tyres.

I'll get the full set in January anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Zooksport

Post by Zooksport »

Experience: 12 years retreading, then 5 years selling and fitting for other blokes, then 14 years in my own tyreshop, selling and fitting. Tyre repairs in car and truck and OTR all the way through. Me and only 1 other person in the state at the time (2001), were certified to repair Michelin UHP tyres.

My comments refer to practices in Australia, which does, for the most part have a much drier environment, than the UK. It is only in the South Eastern parts of Australia where Snow will be found in abundance. I've seen snow, but it was in 1977, whilst visiting Mount Kosciuszko as a schoolboy. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Kosciuszko)

Assuming you are fitting only 2 tyres, it has been considered standard practice for some years that New tyres should always be fitted to the rear axle, in all drive configurations (FWD/RWD/4WD/AWD). By fitting new tyres to the rear, better traction is obtained under heavy braking. This helps to maintain a straight line attitude. The addition of ABS has not changed this view.

If we were to get REALLY serious, it would be best to replace all 5 tyres at the same time. Including the spare. I used to have discussions with all the off road adventurers that want 4 of the latest and greatest tyres on the ground and any old thing as a spare. But remember, when you get the puncture a thousand miles from nowhere, THAT spare is all you have left, to get you home. Don't neglect your spare.

Then, it is best to just replace the 4 on the ground, followed by 2 at a time, on the rear please, and then if you really must, 1 at a time. A rare event, having a customer only buying 1, but not unheard of.

I have seen, owned even, cars that had 4 different brands of tyre on it. Safe? Yeah. Safe as it could be? Well of course not.
I know some will say 4 different tyres is completely unsafe, but (downunder) a car will pass MOT with 4 tyres of different brands, regardless of tread pattern, so long as they are all of same construction and have at least double the minimum required tread depth. (so, at least 3mm).

It is common for the spare to be used as 1 of the new tyres, usually a customer buys 3, plus the spare which is brand new, (but 3 or more years old) and the best of whats coming off becomes the "new" spare. In this case, remove the spare, inflate it, because you never even looked at it since you bought the car and put the spare on the rear. That way, because you didn't look after it for all those years, it will be less likely to steer you into a tree/house/obstacle when it separates and fails 2 weeks later screaming down the highway on yer holiday.

Last edited by Zooksport on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Zooksport, your comments were well worth reading just as from the “Horses Mouth” or being a bit polite at the very least from day to day experiences from the “Tyre Trade” - Thanks Dave :)
david sunderland

Post by david sunderland »

Had to replace my continentals at ...12000 miles on the front only my last car did 20000 on dunlops doing the exact same runs. .... slow on rear ... tyre written off as well replaced with Michelin Pilots ....good job the cars lease so no charge young lady with a baby getting a free battery check on her Qashqai told her battery no good the car was 16 plate... replaced by them when staff left us . I said nissan are replacing them for free how old is the car? Under 3 years old its still under warrenty so go to nissan garage 1 mile away its free ......she says they have started so i will just pay over £100 i advised to join the forum
Qashqai tekna 1.2 petrol dig 6. 3. 17. gunmetal grey. glass roof m\ t...............now RENAULT KADJAR GT 160 BHP same as the QQ same car