Oops Alloy scuff

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
jukester46

Post by jukester46 »

[quote="jukester46"] Ive seen the alloygators on a car and tbh they looked pants, all scuffed and speaking to the owner he showed me one wheel where it had slid back and forth which gad raken the lacquer off and half the wheel had a dull look as though water had got underneath so personally will be more careful, if nit go for the £40 repair option. [/QUOTE] Humble pie time...... they weren't AlloyGators they were Rimringz... so after Swmbo came very close to attacking the kerb I studied the Alloygators website and decided to opt for a set. I rang a local fitter on Monday night and he turned up as promised Tuesday 7 pm. As you can see I opted for the black gators, great service and very Knowledgeable. He even explained to me the reason why, on parallel park, it tends to park 6 inches away from the kerb, particularly when its a tight space. Its to allow you to put full lock on to get out!

Kris

Post by Kris »

I said would post reply from Ringringz and below is what I have received todayAs
long as they are J rims and not with a raised profile should be fine you can
send a pic if you like to double check Can someone answer are the rims raised profile? if they are then not suitable for QQ
1.5 Tekna Pearl White: Alloygators, Mud Flaps, Defender spray to front bumper and bonnet
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Kris, I cannot really answer the question about the "J" Rim and the Raised Profile because I have no QQ at present. If you want to follow this up here are some Wheel pics from a Std. QQ Tekna & some of a Juke I found with Rim Ringz installed also here are a few comments I found on their website. I am not pro Rim Ringz but I cannot get Alloygators installed here - there are no Dealers.

DO NOT DO THIS
Do not try to install RIM RINGZa„? at the same time when you mount the tire onto the rim.You should never do this, because RIM RINGZa„? could spring off the rim and potentially cause damage. RIM RINGZa„? should only be installed when the tire is mounted onto the rim and is inflated. Only then you can do the installation process according to RIM RINGZa„?instructions. The air should be released and then RIM RINGZa„? should be installed. Do not use oil, grease, silicone or similar products when you install RIM RINGZa„?, as they tend to stay greasy for a long period of time. RIM RINGZa„? could fall off the rim in this case.

RIM RINGZa„? are universal by rim size, but is some rare cases and some models, certain deviations can occur.
RIM RINGZa„? are designed for "J" type of rims, which are the most common type of rims.
RIM RINGZa„? will fit other types of rims, but certain minimal deviations may occur.

The comments regarding the aggresive corrosive effects under the Rim Protectors must be similiar in both cases as these are both Plastic, both will have natural gaps between the wheel and Protector. In my opinion the main problem is cleanliness because of the dust from the brakes and general road dust (winter salt !) getting between the parts. If this does attack the Alloy you firstly need to remove them to check (time !) and surely it would then be cheaper to have them just cleaned up - if it is a must ! rather than removing the wheel, removing the tyre, dipping, setting up the wheel on a CNC Mc. or Grinder, re-machining the area and then finally re-painting and surface treating.
I also cannot understand how these "Things" just fall off as they are held in with Tags between the wheel and tyre, could this be an private installation problem and not from the Professionals ?
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Contigo

Post by Contigo »

jukester, how much did you pay for the alloygator man to come out and fit?
Current Cars: QQ 1.5 DCi Tekna, Maserati 3200GT, Mini Cooper S

th0mps0n

Post by th0mps0n »

[quote="DaveBerlin"]I am not pro Rim Ringz but I cannot get Alloygators installed here - there are no Dealers.[/QUOTE]
You can order them from UK, have the delivered and mounted in any bigger tire service. Alloygators are quite known, I bet there must by some tireservice that mounted them several times in Berlin (even if they are not listed as official dealer/partner/reseller/installer). You just need to do few phone calls to find out.
1.6 dCi 2WD manual Tekna Bronze with Thermaclear, Illuminated sidebars, Chrome premium pack, Chrome mirror covers, Chrome door sill strips

Ordered 2nd May, delivered 20th Nov. :)
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Dave, I suspect they could fall off due to a drop in tyre pressure caused by the tags going under the tyre bead.But I have no evidence of anything apart from the anecdotes I've read by less than impressed users
tekna cvt mag red
jukester46

Post by jukester46 »

[quote="Contigo"] jukester, how much did you pay for the alloygator man to come out and fit?

[/QUOTE] I paid £110 fitted. A local fiat dealer also would fit them but would have robbed me of £199!!!!
Contigo

Post by Contigo »

Great price, can you send me details?thanks
Current Cars: QQ 1.5 DCi Tekna, Maserati 3200GT, Mini Cooper S

jukester46

Post by jukester46 »

Whats your location Contigo?
jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

£110 that's the same price I paid at the approved tyre fitters, I am happy with that
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors