Tires with rim protection built

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
th0mps0n

Post by th0mps0n »

Not sure whether this has been already discussed, but while browsing through winter tires (I know it's a bit early) I came across models which have a rim protection feature called FR (Flange Rim) or MFS (Max Flange Shield) or ML.It seems that they cost just a little extra to compare to regular models, so why not giving a try?I am not sure about what level of protection this gives to rims, but I guess it's not that much as extra plastic rim protectors.Anyone got those? What is your experience?I have also read that Bridgestone and Michellin got almost all tire models with this by default. Other brands like Goodyear, Continental, Dunlop only got that at extra cost and the tire has the FR/MFS in its name.I still have to decide for rim protectors for summer 19' tire set. But for winter set of tires on 17 alloys I should be set with just build in rim protection, considering that in both cases I will be careful. In the end Tekna model got the cameras everywhere.What do you think?
1.6 dCi 2WD manual Tekna Bronze with Thermaclear, Illuminated sidebars, Chrome premium pack, Chrome mirror covers, Chrome door sill strips

Ordered 2nd May, delivered 20th Nov. :)

tomo2001

Post by tomo2001 »

I have these on a Ford Focus but still managed to scuff the alloys quite easily . Offer very little protection IMHO
Nissan Qashqai 1.6 dci Tekna
th0mps0n

Post by th0mps0n »

[quote="tomo2001"]I have these on a Ford Focus but still managed to scuff the alloys quite easily . Offer very little protection IMHO
[/QUOTE]
may I know what type of tires, brand or model
1.6 dCi 2WD manual Tekna Bronze with Thermaclear, Illuminated sidebars, Chrome premium pack, Chrome mirror covers, Chrome door sill strips

jonceebee

Post by jonceebee »

Michelin make a so called rim protector tyre called Diamaris I had a look at these and they are not available to fit the Tekna the only 19 inch Diamaris available in this wheel size is 255 x 50 x 19 V Rated. It would be interesting to know if the extra width and height would cause any problems with the bodywork/speedo reading and if these can be fitted without any problems when a tyre change comes around
QQ 2014 1.2 Tekna Storm White. Chromed front lip finisher,Side Sills,Glass Finisher, Lower Trunk Finisher, White Side mouldings, White AlloyGaytors, Wind Deflectors
Cross Over Pack, auto fold mirrors
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

I currently have a prius, my QQ arrives next wed, with tyres that purport to protect the rims. All I can say is that in my experience they don't work. Yes I did damage rim and it wasn't a heavy collision.
Tekna 1.6 CVT Nightshade
th0mps0n

Post by th0mps0n »

This is my pick, although I haven't ordered them yet. Fair price.Bridgestone Blizzak LM80 215/60 R17 96H