Alloy Wheel Identification

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Jonah1234
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by Jonah1234 »

Hello all. This may sound like a strange question, but does anyone know if there is a way of checking that the alloy wheels on my car are the original wheels that were fitted to the car?
The reason I ask is because I recently had my car serviced by a local Nissan dealer and when I went to pick my car up I noticed new damage to the wheels (scratches, corrosion, kerbing). The dealer insisted they hadn't 'been near the wheels', yet they had left the wheel locking nuts out on the passenger seat (I keep them in the central storage compartment). I have since noticed other things and I'm now not even convinced that these are my wheels - I'm beginning to wonder if they may have swapped them with another car on their forecourt.

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Hi,

I experienced this wheel/tyre game with WestWay Nissan at Stourbridge (Brum) a couple of months back. The car I bought and finally drove off with had a kerbed alloy (18 inch) and different radial tyre to the Michelins on the 3 other corner. I had spotted the damage during vehicle inspection prior to purchase. I told them to change it and did not expect them NOT to?

I had a second stupid issue with the car that consumed my full attention. I am really angry with myself and as usual I will take the hit and deal with the problem myself!

The upshot is that the alloys (wheels) are not unique and cannot be simply identified. My recommendation is that we take a fair few pictures of our cars prior to them being placed into the hands of any dealer. If necessary mark stuff with a UV pen or whatever. I was thinking of centre punching the alloy inner somewhere....gently!

Trouble is that once the car is in our possession its subsequently impossible to prove anything without hard evidence.

Colin
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Pandjh
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by Pandjh »

Its not very precise but all tyres have a date they were made shown on the tyre wall. You would expect a new car to have 4 tyres all with the same date. Look for a small rounded rectangle with a 4 digit number where the first 2 digits indicate a week number in the year, the last 2 digits indicate the year.

This obviously is no use after tyres are replaced.
2019 1.3 DiG-T 160 Tekna, black (J11b)
prev 2015 1.2 DiG-T n-tec+, black (J11)
prev 2009 1.5 dCi Acenta, black (J10)