How do I remove the polystyrene that holds the tyre slime in place of the spare?

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Pjanners
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by Pjanners »

Hi all,

I'm looking to go away soon and have picked up a new spare wheel for my qashqai. Foolishly I thought this would just go in the space under the boot floor where the tyre slim and compressor are housed. Instead I find a huge piece of polystyrene and saw the central screw fitment - which I removed thinking this would let me take it out. Sadly not. It's not budging and feels like there's play in it so I'm thinking there is at least one other fitting that needs removing or they used some mighty strong contact adhesive? Short of using a large lever or bar I think I would struggle to get this out. Any suggestions? I also read that I might need a new central piece of polystyrene to mount the spare wheel in its place so it's secured. Anybody know a part number and know if I would need anything else? Thank you 🙂

MikeGC
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by MikeGC »

Welcome to the house of fun.

I think it should just lift out, certainly did with my "old" J11a.
It's a snug fit and might require some jiggling/juggling/fettling to get it out
March '22 - J12 1.3DIG-T 160 CVT Tekna+ with all wheel drive - Pearl Black
July '19 - J11B 1.3DIG-T 160 DCT Tekna - Vivid Blue
March '17 - Qashqai J11A 1.5dci n-connecta - gunmetal
September '14 - Juke 1.5dci gunmetal ascenta premium (red accent packs)
scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc »

Mine just came out with a tug and used a thick piece of foam to create a new housing for the jack, wheelbrace,with the inflator tucked into the right hand “cubby” above the “floor”
2016 1.6 xtronic tekna diesel 130 bhp
1998 4.6 v8 Range Rover petrol auto 225 bhp
2019 Skoda Citigo 1.0 sel green tech 5 dr 75 bhp
2009 Vauxhall Astra Twintop 1.8 petrol sport 2 door 138bhp