Brake Light Lens Removal

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
SommerGirl
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by SommerGirl »

Please don't tell me I'm the only person in the whole fricken world that has a car with a problem when it comes to removing the damn light housing for the brake lights! This is for a 2019 USA Rogue Sport Model S (same as a Qashqai J11A (I think that's right). My boyfriend Rob has tried to get these off so we could change the bulbs. We watched the various videos on YouTube and those devoted to the Rogue. Nothing works! The damn things won't budge and he's a bit tentative in applying too much force as he doesn't want to break them. We've tried pulling, pushing, prying on the part that bolts the chassis - they just won't budge! Now we've rubbed a small spot on the lower edge on one side and I have to get paint for the car to touch it up!

Please - if anyone has a secret way to pull these, let me know? I want LED brake bulbs in place of the standard halogens. What the hell were they thinking when they designed this system? They have more than enough mounting hardware in this system to hold the housing in place without making it so damn difficult to remove it to change a fricken bulb!

:roll:
Live, Love, Laugh, Drive!

DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Sommergirl, I bet that Rob is really loving that you picked a Rogue Sport and want all these upgrades, give him another Beer or two 🍻 😋 Here are a couple of old posts and the second is Rogue Sport related judging by the comments it looks like the Unit Fit is a little on the Hard Side (possibly plastic plugs with a tight fit) and it requires Force to remove but not enough to break it (then expensive). Is it possible to just work around the Light Unit using a screwdriver to progressively move the unit away from the body (just thinking aloud). Perhaps it might well be worth a trip to the Local Dealer to ask - Dave

Rear light cluster : https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=8148

How to remove rear light assembly : https://www.qashqaiforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6595
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

The UK car doesn't have bulbs - they're LEDs. The manual merely shows this to get at the indicator bulb alongside.

Capture.JPG

I don't have a PDF Rogue Sport handbook...
Last edited by gloucester on Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

... but I do now! Only it's even more brief there - it states "It is recommended you visit a NISSAN dealer for replacement"!
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

This is what it looks like - so you can see where the fixings are.

s-l1600.jpg

SommerGirl

Post by SommerGirl »

Thanks, Dave and Glouchester! You guys are great! I ordered the paint from Amazon yesterday and will get these damn things off somehow. I was thinking, after seeing the videos that the main issue seems to be the part at the very front of the lens cover - the one with the slot. What if we trimmed the edges of the slot down a little, or maybe put a little grease on it, to make it slide a bit easier? Same with the two pins. This way, if we ever had to replace the running light in there, it would be just a bit easier to get it off.

On the 'beer' for Rob - he made it very apparent to me that he is not a beer guy. He drinks nothing but ale and I was to keep sufficient stock of his favorite craft brand on hand at all times. 'Hill Farmstead Brewery's 'Edward', his favorite craft pale ale'. Now, I don't mind buying the stuff 'cause I'm paid back in so many ways (manual labor and heavy-duty lifting and carrying is his specialty). For my part, it's a white wine with the girls - the guys can have beer and ale, although I will share one of his ales when we cook up a nice steak! :P
Bros

Post by Bros »

Yeah you are correct I had the same bother and it was the front clip that was pretty damn tight, managed to prize it off eventually!
Good luck
QQ 1.5dci Tekna 2017 Ink Blue j11 Mk2
Previously - QQ 1.5dci NTEC 2015 Black j11 Mk2
SommerGirl

Post by SommerGirl »

Thanks for the comeback on this issue. We'll work on it once the weather gets just a little warmer - it's been sub=zero here for some time and standing in the garage for any length of time and trying to work with gloves on is a pain! ;)
DaveBerlin
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by DaveBerlin »

Sommergirl, I used to work in Boston a lot and I can remember when it was Cold it was Very Cold. So Rob is a Craft Beer Man, I found a Beer here Manufactured by the “Rügener Insel Brauerei” in the North of Germany on an Island called Rügen, which is in the Baltic Sea. They have a very good range of Beers and very attractively wrapped in paper but also have a very good taste, if Rob has an interest then let him take a look here some are pretty damn strong. A bottle of Baltic Ale 0,75L costs around $4 from Amazon which ain’t cheap - Dave 🍻
Sorry this is not really QQ related but hopefully it will get Robs spirits going for the next work on the Rogue 😋

This is a Baltic Ale Alc 7,5% Vol - some have more ! :

21074E06-849A-431A-AC40-F3F175BE63B6.jpeg

Rügener Insel Brauerei – Just another WordPress site : https://insel-brauerei.de/en/
11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
SommerGirl

Post by SommerGirl »

I just saw this and will definitely buy a few bottles for my 'Mr. Handyman'. Still wrestling with the lens covers, but we did manage to change out the backup lights! Now, that was a cluster 'F' of the first order! Thankfully, I ordered a 410 piece kit of various fasteners and clips for the Nissan auto from e-Bay. These came in handy since we broke two of the white ones getting the shroud off. That was as far as we needed to take it cause the backs of the lens covers were exposed and we could change the bulbs without taking the housings off. Getting the shroud back on was fun - especially getting the front to mate to the part that stays on the hatch. Well, we finally got it all back together, with only a little grousing and grumbling by both as I stepped on his foot while we danced around under there! Yes - the Rogue Sport - keeping couples together as they dance their way through one attempted modification after another! And in a 35-degree garage! :lol: