TPMS query

Forum for wheels, tyres, suspension, chassis, brakes
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

Hi

My car has a correctly functioning TPMS.

If I swap the wheels with tyres from front to rear , does it upset the TPMS system , and is it true that the dealership has to re-assign the wheel to the new location ?

Many thanks

Steve

daddydoug
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by daddydoug »

Hi Steve

No it is fine to swap wheels/tyres over. I rotate mine every 6000 miles and it does not upset the TPMS system. If you go into the vehicle settings when you have swapped them round, just click on re calibrate and it sets them. Very occasionally you might have to do this a couple of times, but I've never had a problem. Also you might have to drive just a few miles for them to ping up correctly.

Cheers
Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
Deleted User 10757

daddydoug wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:07 pm Hi Steve

No it is fine to swap wheels/tyres over. I rotate mine every 6000 miles and it does not upset the TPMS system. If you go into the vehicle settings when you have swapped them round, just click on re calibrate and it sets them. Very occasionally you might have to do this a couple of times, but I've never had a problem. Also you might have to drive just a few miles for them to ping up correctly.

Cheers
Doug
Thank you for that answer.

Your advice was pretty much what I said to the dealer a few weeks back , hence my forum question.

Guess they just wanted more money on top of the service I paid for

Many thanks
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

Don't forget to change the air pressure in the tyre when you have changed them around 😀
Deleted User 10757

Absolutely - but thanks for the reminder
daddydoug

Post by daddydoug »

Hi Steve

Bloody dealerships always after making a quick buck! When I took mine for a service last year, I told them that one of the key fobs wasn't working properly, so could they stick a new battery in it. They wanted to charge me £20 for a new key fob battery!! I told them to poke it, and bought one for about £1 and did it myself!

Good luck with them tyres!

Doug
Magnetic Red 2015 Qashqai Tekna 1.6 Dci130 Xtronic. Now replaced with a Nissan Juke Tekna plus in Gunmetal Grey (2021)
BlackPearl
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by BlackPearl »

Rotating tyres periodically is recommended by the manufacturer. It keeps tyre wear even and lasting longer. Mine are done every service at 10,000 km or around 6,000 mi. It's a wise investment and I'd rather them do it than me. :D
It's a good idea to check pressures and calibrate the TPMS regularly in any case.
Pearl Black 2012 J10 Nissan Dualis Ti-L Series 3 AWD (Aus)