Retune DAB radio

ICE, Equipment, Options
gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

I note in the wording it says:

[Extra chan.]:
The [Extra chan.] button will allow access to extra stations transmitted within the group of the currently selected station. If not available the button will not operate

So what does "group" mean there? DAB itself? Or groups within DAB like TVs have. Can you try selecting another station then going into settings?

I thought having read your post that I'd try getting Times Radio on my Ignis radio, and when I looked it was already there, despite me not having "retuned" the DAB section since buying the car in 2018. So it's readily available here.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Group:
A multiplex or ensemble can be thought of as simply a number of stations that are grouped together, to make it efficient for them to be transmitted digitally. However, there is a practical limit to the size of this group which means one DAB digital radio multiplex cannot carry more than about twenty radio stations in total (although there is capacity for data services and such like, which take up much less room on a multiplex).

Action..... :o
Just checked my Audi/Nav Box which is a type D in its Connect manual. There is no manual scan. No Extra channel button. Its very minimal which I find a bit confusing. I think therefore the DAB receiver I have is auto scanned periodically. Or auto scans when DAB channel buttons are selected. The later function is in the UK DAB Receiver Requirements...pressing/holding buttons either on Menu or sub Menu entries...making it specific to manufacturer. It might possibly scan when selecting from FM to DAB and so on...quick scan?

Times Radio is on my Digital Radio in my house (upstairs) but the QQ on the drive doesn't show it. I am in hilly territory. I guess I have to go for a drive away from obstructions and press channels for it to re-tune. However, if it does log Times Radio elsewhere and I move back to my drive...I'd expect it not to show. Its at this point I suffered DAB drop outs and stopped using it.
Last edited by calnorth on Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

An Observation:

When changing channel on DAB buttons I note a 4 sec or so delay before audio arrives. My domestic DAB Rx doesn't do that or it does it dead quick. At a guess I'd say the QQ receiver is slow/struggling to process the incoming signal Q or its having a "quick scan" for a replica signal from a different transmitter (multiplex)? Perhaps updating its Channel List on the way...dunno?
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
Albie36

Post by Albie36 »

On the DAB icon page there’s an option to go to text list of all DAB stations available. On this page there’s a button to refresh. This is the closest button I’ve seen to rescan the DAB listing