USB playback order

ICE, Equipment, Options
Deleted User 10757

Post by Deleted User 10757 »

Hi

I now have a functioning USB connection in my J11B Tekna - great .

I have formatted my 128gb USB drive and loaded a couple of thousand MP3 tracks onto it.

All good so far - playback is fine.
Im not using folders or any playlists - just one big bunch of tracks.

However , despite selecting RANDOM in the display , the music starts from the same point every day , and I have to skip past everything I have listened to every day.

Any settings that anyone can suggest ?

Many thanks

fbgqashqai
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by fbgqashqai »

The head unit in the Qashqai J11A is not that clever at times. You say you have added a few thousand tracks to the USB stick. The first time you insert this in the USB port and it is recognised by the Connects unit, it indexes the USB stick. Depending on the quality of the files 320 KBps etc, it actually can take quite a while to do this. If you have started the process, then gone for a short drive and the indexing hasn't been completed, the unit starts playing from the same place and tries to index everything again. Once you have completed the index process fully, then next time you use the unit, the car does a very quick index and you can make full use of the ability to select tracks. You said that you hadn't put the tracks into any order so I guess you mean you haven't created sub directories for artists/albums. MP3 stores music and metadata, I hope I am not teaching you to suck eggs here so I apologise if I am going into detail you know. The Connects unit can use directory information and metadata to determine how MP3s are used so as long as the relevant metadata is embedded in an MP3 e.g. Artist, track etc, the unit will use this information. If you hit the browse button on the connects screen you will see many options to select your music. Once the first pass of the indexing of the USB stick is completed, these will all be available for you to select. If all but the top option are greyed out then the indexing is still happening. I only use my 64Gb stick on random. I do this by hitting browse, then selecting songs and picking any one track, once this is playing hit the back button then hit the mix button and mix songs will be selected. This now plays randomly any song that has song title metadata. If you hit browse then select Artists, a list of artists can be shown and selecting one will then allow you to dive down into albums and tracks. Playing one track then hitting back and mix states that mix songs has been selected. Its worth having a play with the differing options but I think your main issue is you haven't allowed enough time for the first indexing to complete. I hope this long diatribe is of help.
fbgqashai 2017 J11a N Connecta 1.5DCi in Silver
gloucester

Post by gloucester »

Just pointing out that the query comes from a J11B driver - it may be different from the J11A considering the unit's different.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
Deleted User 10757

I will try the indexing option , however I thought my drive to work should have been long enough at 45mins
Deleted User 10757

So the problem persists.

My 69 plate Tekna has this problem , regardless of the settings - IE ... ALL , RANDOM etc.
The same issue is also on my soon to be delivered 20 plate Tekna.

However ...

Whilst my car was with the dealer for 2 weeks , I was given the use of a new Juke - and the playback of all tracks was totally random.

So , are there any hidden menus in the Connect 3 unit ?

Many thanks
fbgqashqai

Post by fbgqashqai »

Have you tried a smaller USB stick correctly formatted (FAT32) with say 30 - 40 MP3s on it?
Deleted User 10757

The stick is FAT32

I can try something smaller soon
fbgqashqai

Post by fbgqashqai »

Its a sensible thing to do to isolate the problem as 128Gb is a very large stick.
andy2019

Post by andy2019 »

Buffy wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:39 am So the problem persists.

My 69 plate Tekna has this problem , regardless of the settings - IE ... ALL , RANDOM etc.
The same issue is also on my soon to be delivered 20 plate Tekna.

However ...

Whilst my car was with the dealer for 2 weeks , I was given the use of a new Juke - and the playback of all tracks was totally random.

So , are there any hidden menus in the Connect 3 unit ?

Many thanks
have you tried numbering your tracks on the usb 1.(song name) 2.(song name) 3.etc etc to see if that helps with the random selection
Deleted User 10757

Its a thought , but with 3000 tracks - its a big ask.

I would have thought that the system could cope with alphabetically ranked files