Brake lights stuck on

ICE, Equipment, Options
adam.pah
Qashqai Model: Mk.1 Qashqai Facelift - J10b (2010–2013)

Post by adam.pah »

First time posting on this forum so please be kind...

I have a 2013 QQ +2 2.0DCi and the brake lights are stuck on even when the ignition is off. I did some internet research on the issue and there doesn't seem to a simple answer that I can find.

I ended up having someone plug in the fault checker and it came up with a brake light switch error, this seemed perfectly reasonable to me. So I ordered the part 25320-BR00A (see picture) from a local nissan dealer and swapped it over. It hasn't fixed the issue though!

There appears to be another switch next to this one, could that be the causing the issue? What does the other switch (smaller black one) control?

Any help apricated...

switch.jpg

calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

The other switch is ASCD cancel. Cruise Control OFF. Its a separate circuit to the stop light.

Can you disconnect/unplug the Stop Light Switch and check if the lights go OFF. If they do you'll need to see why 12v is still available to the stop lights causing lights to remain ON. Either the position of the stop switch to the brake pedal is wrong or a wiring problem.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
adam.pah

Post by adam.pah »

Thanks Calnorth.

Quick update on this:
I removed the switch, depressed the brake pedal and pushed the switch back in as far as it would go before locking in place. This seems to have partially fixed the problem. The lights are no longer fixed on but the do flicker faintly occasionally. I will see how it goes for the next couple of weeks and see if it improves or gets worse. It has an MOT coming up in a few weeks so I'll get it checked again then if it hasn't resolved.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

adam.pah wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:50 am Thanks Calnorth.

Quick update on this:
I removed the switch, depressed the brake pedal and pushed the switch back in as far as it would go before locking in place. This seems to have partially fixed the problem. The lights are no longer fixed on but the do flicker faintly occasionally. I will see how it goes for the next couple of weeks and see if it improves or gets worse. It has an MOT coming up in a few weeks so I'll get it checked again then if it hasn't resolved.
ok...so it looks to be a bit flakey around the switch mounting?
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
adam.pah

Post by adam.pah »

The mounting looks okay. I went out and started the car and all was looking good. Then I put it is gear to reverse off the drive and all of the brakes are locked on now!! Is there any way that I could have caused this by changing the switch as they were fine before? I disconnected the battery when changing the switch and pumped the peddle a few times, can’t see that locking them on though.. 🤷‍♂️
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

adam.pah wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:47 pm The mounting looks okay. I went out and started the car and all was looking good. Then I put it is gear to reverse off the drive and all of the brakes are locked on now!! Is there any way that I could have caused this by changing the switch as they were fine before? I disconnected the battery when changing the switch and pumped the peddle a few times, can’t see that locking them on though.. 🤷‍♂️
Are you saying the gear lever put the brake lights on?

There is no physical diagram of the pedal box, so its difficult to suggest much. All you have is basically a micro switch which is contacted by the rear of the brake pedal. Its a very simple electrical circuit to the brake lights themselves.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
adam.pah

Post by adam.pah »

So the electrical fault seems to be fixed, the brake lights are functioning as they should.

The issue is now that the actual brakes are stuck, as in like I have my foot on the pedal. I can put it in drive fine, but it won’t move because the brakes are engaged. This is a bigger problem! I think it is all of the brakes and not just the handbrake.

So my question is, could I have caused some kind of air lock or other issue by fiddling about with things? I can’t figure out how or what I could have done to cause this but then I’m not sure if these modern cars have sensors or relays or other things that may control the brakes...
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

adam.pah wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:38 am So the electrical fault seems to be fixed, the brake lights are functioning as they should.

The issue is now that the actual brakes are stuck, as in like I have my foot on the pedal. I can put it in drive fine, but it won’t move because the brakes are engaged. This is a bigger problem! I think it is all of the brakes and not just the handbrake.

So my question is, could I have caused some kind of air lock or other issue by fiddling about with things? I can’t figure out how or what I could have done to cause this but then I’m not sure if these modern cars have sensors or relays or other things that may control the brakes...
Is this car an automatic? I assumed its a manual gearbox.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
adam.pah

Post by adam.pah »

Yes, it’s an auto. I can put it in gear and it will move if I give it some beans but obviously it can’t be driven as the brakes are engaged.
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

adam.pah wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:08 am Yes, it’s an auto. I can put it in gear and it will move if I give it some beans but obviously it can’t be driven as the brakes are engaged.
Is it showing that the parking brake is on? One of the symbols illuminated in the instrument cluster.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta