Aircon Cooling...Blowing Warm Only

ICE, Equipment, Options
calnorth
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–2021)

Post by calnorth »

Just wondered when i'd get clobbered. My QQ commencing some very unexpected trouble. I am at 14k miles from new late 2017.

Yesterday in the blasting UK heat I pressed the Aircon button and no cooling at all....just high warm wind. All lights/controls on the display correct and blower going well. Engine revs increase slightly and I think I heard the dainty clatter of the compressor.

Reviewing the evidence and not checking for DTC's I surmise that this thing has of late dumped its gas load.....extremely expensive R1234YF flavour I suspect. £130 for regas procedure it seems.

I might try the £50 Amazon regas kit as am sure I'll get whacked for about that on Nissan dealer or other diagnostics. At least I'll land up with a gas gauge at the end of it.

Perhaps I see a condenser on the horizon?

Anybody done the regas procedure themselves?
Last edited by calnorth on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mk2 Qashqai Facelift - J11b (2017–and onward)
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta

gloucester
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by gloucester »

No - but when my AC disappeared suddenly at 2.75 years it was the condensor - and crucially within warranty! Best to get it tested before doing a possibly pointless operation.
(2015 Nissan Qashqai Tekna DIG-T 1.2 sold 15/6/18) ~ 2018 Suzuki Ignis SZ5 - 2018 Yamaha MT-07 ~ (2024 Volvo EX30 ordered)
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Colin, this is exactly the same problem we experienced with our older QQ and after checks the problem was the Bad Leaky Batch of Condensers that ended up in the Nissan System. Luckily when I reported it a new Condenser was sent within days as they were still stock articles and the new R1234yf was re-filled under Guarantee and yes it is now even more expensive as the Older type is being phased out. Sorry but no experience of the Amazon stuff, but all I can say is after the change there were no more problems. Being out of Guarantee is naturally not a nice feeling when the “S_ _ t hits the Fan”, it hurts and costs - Dave 🤗🙏

9F4603DD-21AB-43E1-89D5-0FA40149E0A7.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
Famouskiwi

Post by Famouskiwi »

Try running it for 10 min with air con temp set a little warmer and fan set to 50% - if you get some cool air, and are in a humid area then it’s possible the Aircon unit froze over
andy2019
Qashqai Model: Mk.2 Qashqai - J11 (2013–2017)

Post by andy2019 »

calnorth wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:13 pm Just wondered when i'd get clobbered. My QQ commencing some very unexpected trouble. I am at 14k miles from new late 2017.

Yesterday in the blasting UK heat I pressed the Aircon button and no cooling at all....just high warm wind. All lights/controls on the display correct and blower going well. Engine revs increase slightly and I think I heard the dainty clatter of the compressor.

Reviewing the evidence and not checking for DTC's I surmise that this thing has of late dumped its gas load.....extremely expensive R1234YF flavour I suspect. £130 for regas procedure it seems.

I think I'll try the £50 Amazon regas kit as am sure I'll get whacked for about that on Nissan dealer or other diagnostics. At least I'll land up with a gas gauge at the end of it.

Perhaps I see a condenser on the horizon?

Anybody done the regas procedure themselves?
yes have done re-gas on many cars over the years most are easy to do. you won`t get a regas kit from amazon for £50 for the QQ as the gas can is around £130 and then you`ll need the filling trigger/gauge around £25. the new gas in cars now is R-1234yf. the older cars use R-134a (thats around £55 a can). i went for the trigger/gauge when it was on offer as it`s a cheaper way of finding out if the system has enough gas in it (before you splash the cash on the gas can)
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Personally from my current experience condensors arent failing quite like they used to. J11 is suffering from the lower pipe rubber seal failing, this is the most reoccurring fault I have seen and I've also seen people replace the pipe because they see it leaking out from the back of the flange but it's usually the seal. And you can get the seal separate.

Issue with those regas kits is if you have a decent leak then the system has pulled in non condensable gas (air) in to the system which will also contain moisture. Ideally the system should be tested for leaks either with nitrogen test by filing it with nitrogen or by using just compressed air which will also contain moisture but this can be sucked out via a vacuum process which is carried out by an ac machine. Put around 10 bar into the system then with some soapy water in a spray bottle go wild spraying the condenser and all pipes and joints and when you see some bubbling theres your leak, fix it.

Then hook up a machine carry out a 15 to 25 minute vacuum this allows any moisture to be removed from the system and also the dryer and then after introduce your oil pag or poe QQ take a pag oil and then your gas which will be 500g or r1234yf and sorted. Those kits they supply arent the best way forward. But yeah the gas is expensive.

I know not all of us have access to a machine but that's why it's important to get it done using one as you wont be filling it ful with gas it will be a mix of air and gas and it won't be as good as it could be, also moisture doesnt do to good to the inside of the system even though the dryer will absorb it, it can only absorb so much. That's why it's important to get your ac serviced. When you pull the gas out and carry out a vacuum you pull the moisture out of the dryer thus servicing it they like to say and put the gas back in.

I may be wrong in some parts but this is my understanding of the system hope this helps
DaveBerlin

Post by DaveBerlin »

Lewis, a nice clear concise explanation of the system. 👍
I can remember here in 2014 when I fired up our Dealer & Nissan NCS because New customers were not informed on the possible fire risks only by a Sticker under the Bonnet. The system Gas had been changed to the new R1234yf which at that time had been tested here and deemed to be dangerous due to fire 🔥 if leaks occurred. MB was the main critic and the ADAC issued the Test Report which included fire risk video, but the criticisms have died down now as the Gas is a Std.
As I mentioned our Dealer changed our Condenser, changed relevant parts, re-gassed and checked the System and it worked👍 I know that our Dealer had to buy some expensive new equipment (not compatible with the old stuff) which in the beginning was shared between the Family Dealerships - Dave 😉

Colin, this was our Condenser after the Nissan checks :

49071CD7-A3B7-46D0-ACFD-B75E5BE3B21F.jpeg

11.19/1.3L/160PS/Tekna+/DCT/PrOPILOT/KAD Gun Metallic/Trunk Lower Finisher/Rear Glass Finisher/Ambient Lighting-LED’s Innen/Entry Guards Illuminated/Sport Pedals/Front Styling Plate/LED No.Plate/Chrome Door Handles/Rear Valance/Giacuzzo Alloys + Falken
lewisbryant
Qashqai Model: Mk.3 Qashqai - J12 (2021+) New Model

Post by lewisbryant »

Heres a pic of the lower pipe leaking

Screenshot_20210402-081912_Gallery.jpg

calnorth

Post by calnorth »

lewisbryant wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:55 pm Personally from my current experience condensors arent failing quite like they used to. J11 is suffering from the lower pipe rubber seal failing, this is the most reoccurring fault I have seen and I've also seen people replace the pipe because they see it leaking out from the back of the flange but it's usually the seal. And you can get the seal separate.

Issue with those regas kits is if you have a decent leak then the system has pulled in non condensable gas (air) in to the system which will also contain moisture. Ideally the system should be tested for leaks either with nitrogen test by filing it with nitrogen or by using just compressed air which will also contain moisture but this can be sucked out via a vacuum process which is carried out by an ac machine. Put around 10 bar into the system then with some soapy water in a spray bottle go wild spraying the condenser and all pipes and joints and when you see some bubbling theres your leak, fix it.

Then hook up a machine carry out a 15 to 25 minute vacuum this allows any moisture to be removed from the system and also the dryer and then after introduce your oil pag or poe QQ take a pag oil and then your gas which will be 500g or r1234yf and sorted. Those kits they supply arent the best way forward. But yeah the gas is expensive.

I know not all of us have access to a machine but that's why it's important to get it done using one as you wont be filling it ful with gas it will be a mix of air and gas and it won't be as good as it could be, also moisture doesnt do to good to the inside of the system even though the dryer will absorb it, it can only absorb so much. That's why it's important to get your ac serviced. When you pull the gas out and carry out a vacuum you pull the moisture out of the dryer thus servicing it they like to say and put the gas back in.

I may be wrong in some parts but this is my understanding of the system hope this helps
Your're not wrong...you remind me of the full procedure I saw main plant aircon/refrigeration mates doing in the Middle East. Thats while we and many others were blowing a big hole in the ozone layer...apparently?

I certainly need to visually inspect what I can see first.

Do you know if the refrigerant installed and now leaking(?) responds to UV light? Or should i get some leak marker stuff into the system.
Last edited by calnorth on Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta
calnorth

Post by calnorth »

gloucester wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:50 pm No - but when my AC disappeared suddenly at 2.75 years it was the condensor - and crucially within warranty! Best to get it tested before doing a possibly pointless operation.
I did distinctly think that the aircon was a little poor late last year and didn't use it over this winter. House arrest limited that mainly. So, I could say that this system failed just at or on the 3 year anniversary of its initial registration...late 2017. The fail being a slow degradation and likely a leak.

Thanks for the comment
1.6 Dig-T N-Connecta